1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

270mg/wk & Climbing

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by Richard Hall, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

Hey guys, great forum. I was respectfully hoping for any constructive thoughts about my first year with trt. My insurance surprisingly covered efforts thus far so I am within the limitations of my local Low-T clinic. Want to graduate to Self medicating asap. Longer story shorter, I started last September testing below 300 total test. I was given 140mg/wk. That raised my tt to 520. Dose was raised to 190/wk. This raised tt 715. E2=36 shbg=40. Dose raised to 200mg/wk. Did my own sensitive e2 in January, read 73.1 started .5mg anastrazole a week 48hrs post shot. By March things were going the wrong direction at tt=407 e2=31.0 shbg=41.3 Increased dose to 220mg/wk. April readings were T=525, E=37.2 shbg=34.2 Increased to 250mg/wk. August had tt=518. Increased to 270mg/wk at present. These doses seem really high and concern me as to general health repercussions. And my test readings are not reflecting the increases really. I see sporadic comments about "hyper metabolizers". Is anyone successful long term with this high of doses? Any recommendations from you veterans? Any constructive thoughts appreciated.

2. JacobR

JacobR Member

I can't help much, but I'll add some comments . What were your symptoms after starting trt? We're you feeling better? I would consider it not needed to raise your disenif you felt well, rather than treating the numbers. Also, you need to look at your free T numbers, and likely your DHT.

I hope someone can chime in about the hypermetbolizer .

What testosterone we're you taking? Perhaps you can take a different ester? Maybe you can try taking smaller doses more frequently.

I can't imagine that much exogenous testosterone will be food for your liver function.

The fact that it helped at first and didn't later is odd as well. When were you testing your T levels? Time of day and day since your injection will give you vastly different readings.

Lastly, Low T Clinics are known for being shady, how well do you trust you were getting what they claimed?

3. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

Thanks for the thoughts Jacob, just feeling older, tired, unmotivated before. Felt that "feeling of well being" on a few occasions especially when shots of t-cyp increased. Free T has been in lower part of range (sorry don't have number with me) tried lots of stinging nettle which was great for prostate issues but skin became very oily with acne after awhile. I assumed dht was high at that point & use pygeum with some success. Shots are Monday morning and tests are just prior to shot. Got the 6 week test being drawn Monday. Will post results. Having trouble staying asleep most nights, have bouts of anxiety, have to think the really high doses could be reason. Like you hoping to hear the hypermetabolizers chime in.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

My intention is to graduate to being a Defy patient in the near future, just trying to get my bearings here.

5. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Richard, welcome to ATM,

With the dosages you noted, I find it very unusual that your labs are what they are. I am assuming a weekly IM injection given at the doctors office? How long after injection were the labs drawn?

While true to some extent that some metabolize testosterone at a faster rate, it is uncommon to see such a dramatic impact as you describe. Forget about the hyper metabolism and focus on frequency of injection and timing of labs. Also, make certain to have the correct labs done and keep them available for reference. Your goal is to have enough free testosterone to convert to DHT. That needs to be tested every time you have labs drawn.

If you are having labs drawn while in the trough, that needs to be noted. You may need to increase your injection frequency to twice a week.

6. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

Thanks for the reply BAB, I've read allot of your great posts. Yes, tests have all been at trough on Monday morn just prior to next weekly injection. Went back & looked at all the bloodwork paperwork don't see any recordings of free test levels. I know it's been brought up a couple of times & was at the lower end of the scale. I'm going to ask for that data next Monday. The Low T center has been very convenient & seem like nice people, but it's been a year and I really hoped to be balanced out at exceptional levels by now.

7. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

Low T Center is covered by my blue cross. I pay a $25 copay each week & purchase other stuff from the compounding pharmacy. I really hope to become a Defy member in 2019 if I can afford it. Think I really need some pro guidance and ability to administer as necessary.

8. BadassBlues

That would be optimal, but armed with knowledge you can leverage a better experience with the Low T center in the interim.

Rather than shotgun out an array of information to you, please acknowledge your willingness and commitment to see it through. I will happily give you a guideline to give to your clinician to follow that will be irrefutable.

Knowledge is power my friend... ;)

Bulldog likes this.
  9. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

I'm definitely willing & committed.

10. BadassBlues

Okie dokie... I just get tired of spending time answering posts when the OP just poofs and never even reads it.

It's important to have a firm grasp of the basics before moving forward. A lot of guys will try to start in the middle of the book and end up either lost or having to go backwards to catch up. So basic stuff first, pardon me if you already know some of this but it's important.

The endocrine system and hormones:

Human endocrine system, group of ductless glands that regulate body processes by secreting chemical substances called hormones. Hormones act on nearby tissues or are carried in the bloodstream to act on specific target organs and distant tissues. Diseases of the endocrine system can result from the oversecretion or undersecretion of hormones or from the inability of target organs or tissues to respond to hormones effectively.

It is important to distinguish between an endocrine gland, which discharges hormones into the bloodstream, and an exocrine gland, which secretes substances through a duct opening in a gland onto an external or internal body surface. Salivary glands and sweat glands are examples of exocrine glands. Both saliva, secreted by the salivary glands, and sweat, secreted by the sweat glands, act on local tissues near the duct openings. In contrast, the hormones secreted by endocrine glands are carried by the circulation to exert their actions on tissues remote from the site of their secretion.

Hormones are your body's chemical messengers. They travel in your bloodstream to tissues or organs. They work slowly, over time, and affect many different processes, including

• Growth and development
    • Metabolism - how your body gets energy from the foods you eat
    • Sexual function
    • Reproduction
    • Mood
    Endocrine glands, which are special groups of cells, make hormones. The major endocrine glands are the pituitary, pineal, thymus, thyroid, adrenal glands, and pancreas. In addition, men produce hormones in their testes and women produce them in their ovaries.

Hormones are powerful. It takes only a tiny amount to cause big changes in cells or even your whole body. That is why too much or too little of a certain hormone can be serious. Laboratory tests can measure the hormone levels in your blood, urine, or saliva.

Here is a basic animated reference tool:

https://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/the-endocrine-system

So, we know that hormones are messengers sent from the endocrine system. Hormone receptors are what receive these messages.

Hormone Receptors:

Meaning of Hormone Receptors:
    A hormone receptor is a receptor protein on the surface of a cell or in its interior that binds to a specific hormone. The hormone causes many changes that take place in the cell. Binding of hormones to hormone receptors often trigger the start of a biophysical signal that can lead to further signal transduction pathways, or trigger the activation or inhibition of genes.

Steroid Hormone Receptors and Related Receptors:
    Are generally soluble proteins that function through gene activation. Their response elements are DNA sequences (promoters) that are bound by the complex of the steroid bound to its receptor. The receptors themselves are zinc-finger proteins. These receptors include those for glucocorticoids, estrogens, androgens, thyroid hormone (T3), calcitriol (the active form of vitamin D), and the retinoids (vitamin A).

Steroid Hormone Receptors:
    Are proteins that have a binding site for a particular steroid molecule. Their response elements are DNA sequences that are bound by the complex of the steroid bound to its receptor. The response element is part of the promoter of a gene. Binding by the receptor activates or represses, as the case may be, the gene controlled by that promoter. It is through this mechanism that steroid hormones turn genes on (or off).

NEXT, Genetic Expression

References:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone
    https://medlineplus.gov/hormones.html
    https://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/the-endocrine-system
    https://www.britannica.com/science/human-endocrine-system
    http://www.biologydiscussion.com/hormones/hormone-receptors-meaning-and-types/17288

11. Richard Hall

Richard Hall New Member

Good stuff sir, shame we have to do the doctors work for them! But I definitely believe in taking control of one's own circumstances. I just scored tt=765, ft=16.3 e2=28.4, better... Dropped(200mg/ml) test cyp from 270 to 260/wk. Like to get down under 200. Hcg increases from 300 to 500 on days 3 & 5. Thanks a million BAB.

12. BadassBlues

You are welcome, more to come.