1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Casey Viator and "The Colorado Experiment"

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by drkinsey, Aug 2, 2009.

1. drkinsey

drkinsey New Member

In an experiment conducted at Colorado State University in 1973, bodybuilder Casey Viator gained 63 pounds of muscle and lost 17 pounds of fat over a period of 28 days. During the first 14 days, he gained an average of 2 pounds a day!

Details can be found at http://www.musclenet.com/coloradoexperiment.htm

2. rick055

rick055 Active Member

I just gave it a cursory reading, but there's a statement which suggested anabolics/growth hormone were not used, unless I misread.

I'd have a real hard time believing that type of body transformation was not done with any drugs.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  3. Bulldog

Bulldog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think there are a couple of things you have to consider.

1) Casey was previously very large and lost a lot of muscle prior to this "experiment".

2) Arthur Jones doesn't really know if Casey was using anabolic steroids or not.

3) Casey was most likely using anabolic steroids. If I remember correctly I read a statement by Casey saying that he did use anabolic steroids however I don't recall where I saw that statement.

4) If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

4. Willje

Willje New Member

They also say that Viator could put on muscle going for an evening stroll....

5. Bulldog

He is a genetic freak.

6. gjh1958

gjh1958 New Member

Some pictures....

Attached Files:

7. ptm82379

ptm82379 New Member

Genetics cannot be ignored here. This man was a freak. What % of the human population has this feature? Id say you put 99% of us in the same expirement under the same conditions and you wont get this result. Granted muscle will be gained and fat lost it wont be 60+ pounds, maybe on roids maybe.

8. Mark

Mark Member

It also needs to be taken into account how grueling those Arthur Jones workouts were. From what I've read, there were times they had to carry someone to the next station.

9. Willje

Willje New Member

Just conducted the "Wisconsin Experiment" at the local Chili's.I project that I could indeed gain 63 lbs. in 28 days following that protocol,though the muscle/fat ratios might be skewed.No 'roids, but if they test me for Chocolate Volcano cake,I'm busted.

10. Bulldog

:rofl:

11. Willje

Willje New Member

I found a series on Youtube that may intrigue those interested in this thread.Former pro Kevin Levrone is staging a comeback and is posting a lot of his early workouts ,etc.

12. Bulldog

Got a link?

13. Willje

Willje New Member

I just search "Kevin Levrone" and a lot of entries will pop up.His website is Levronereport.com.I just found it the other day,but he seems to have started a few months ago and has already made incredible gains,and seemingly is doing it naturally...tested even.Of course the "been there done that" factor is major.He benched 315 on his first workout in 4 years.Yet another genetic freak....

14. Bulldog

It seems I read somewhere that he has something going on with natural myostatin inhibition or something like that.

15. gman

gman New Member

It would not be juice for Casey unless it was a massive amount, would it?

I have been doing a TRT dose for 20 weeks where my level is slightly above normal, and work my ass off in the gym, and I think I may have put on maybe 2-3 lbs of muscle mass, tops.

It would be interesting to get a dexascan if I had $150 lying around to see what effect it has had.

Levrone is just a freak. He didn't even lift all that heavy and was still putting on muscle quickly. I saw a vid of him in week 3 doing incline db flys with 60lbers

16. Willje

Willje New Member

It occurs to me that the law of averages would dictate that for every "genetic freak" there must be a specimen out there that has opposite attributes.I suspect I might be shouldering the burden for half the Mr. Olympia contenders myself....makes me feel kinda proud....

17. Dr. John Crisler

Dr. John Crisler Lord of the Forum Staff Member Super Moderator

hehehehe

18. Dr. John Crisler

I know Casey Viator.

He had been quite ill prior to the project.

His workouts were something absolutely out of this world. It is hard to fathom how far he drove himself into temporary muscular failure. Several other top shelf bodybuilders tried to join in, but were quickly left quivering masses on the flor.

He told me one time he developed those freaky cuts on the inside of his thighs by doing windsprints in sand. If I remember right, he said they were 180 yds. long!

The "experiment", as I see it, was really to see how far a man's will power would take him.

19. Dr. John Crisler

Tomorrow night I am going to conduct the "East Lansing Experiment".

20. Bulldog

Details?