1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

DHT levels through the roof with Butea superba

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by slickvic, Apr 19, 2015.

1. slickvic

slickvic Member

http://www.ergo-log.com/dht-levels-through-the-roof-with-butea-superba.html

A supplement containingButea superbanot only sent a 35-year-old man's libido through the roof, but sent his levels of the androgen hormone DHT sky high. Thai nutritionists described the case in the Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism – and may well have finally succeeded in throwing light on howButea superbaworks.

Butea superba
    Butea superbais a climbing plant found in the jungles of Thailand. Local herbalists use an extract from the dried roots [see below] for a medicine against impotency. Manufacturers of sex supplements containingButea superbaare common in Pacific rim countries, butButea superbais starting to become popular in the Western hemisphere too.

HowButea superbaworks exactly is not known. One theory is that the phenols inButea superbainhibit the enzyme Rho-kinase 2, and thus indirectly cause the amount of nitrogen monoxide in the blood vessels to rise.[J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 Dec 18;144(3):483-9.]Some supplements manufacturers take this theory so seriously that they add extracts ofButea superbato their NO boosters.

Another theory is that bioactive phytochemicals inButea superbaimitate the effects of testosterone.

Case
    In 2012 nutritionists at Mahidol University in Thailand published a case study about a 35-year-old man who complained that his sexual interest had increased alarmingly.[Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2012 May;16(3):485-6.]

When the researchers examined the man's blood they discovered a possible cause. The amount of DHT in the man's blood was sky high. Normal values are between 250 and 990 picograms per millilitre, but the man had a DHT concentration of 1512 picograms per millilitre. The researchers' diagnosis was hyperandrogenemia.

The man had been taking a capsule containing a locally-producedButea superbaextract daily for a couple of weeks. Exact quantities are not mentioned in the report. The man had started taking the supplement because he was afraid he was losing his hair.

In Asian countries men and women sometimes use extracts ofButea monospermaandButea parviflorato counteract baldness, but the man had mistakenly thought thatButea superbawould have the same effect. Instead of this, however, the supplement he used had increased the amount of testosterone that was converted into DHT.

DHT has more affinity with the androgen receptor than testosterone does. The researchers suspect that the increase in DHT concentration explained the man's out-of-control libido. They suggested the man stop taking the supplement.

Conclusion
    Ergonauts thinking of experimenting withButea superbawould do well to read up first on the side effects of this herb. High doses – 16 g or more – ofButea superbacan damage your genes.[Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74(5):923-7.]

2. slickvic

slickvic Member

wonder if it would help us post finastride guys , if anyone has any experience with this plant please do share.

3. slickvic

slickvic Member

4. slickvic

slickvic Member

Reading more about it weird thing is some people use this for hair loss and some hairloss forums swear by it for being a DHT blocker , very confusing....

5. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Good post, new information is always a treat.

Butea Superba also inhibits acetylcholineasterase which indicates that it may have an affect on nuerotransmitters as well.

To be continued, this is an interesting topic.

6. slickvic

slickvic Member

Its very intresting indeed , barlows herbal elixir which is a online store that probly have some of the most potent tribulus and tongkat ali out there hes known to have some of the most potent herbs around , lucky he has this product only like 14 bucks from what i saw might just give it a shot soon nothing to loose , hopefully some bros can also try it and post there results here.

7. clloyd_2

clloyd_2 New Member

I take Butea from Barlowe's just about EOD. The only thing I have noticed is fuller testicles where hCG has not completely provided. FWIW, I am on TRT. I have not noticed any DHT type effects.

8. BadassBlues

Any benefit to libido?

9. mlc2010

mlc2010 Member

I have been taking it for 2 weeks, and so far nothing, snake oil I presume

swansons butea superba root 400mg 3x day

10. clloyd_2

clloyd_2 New Member

Unfortunately, I have to many other things going on to be objective and my libido is fine :D
    I may have noticed harder erections but I definitely noticed fuller testicles. No snake oil from Barlowe's.

11. BadassBlues

I ask because most guy's reading this will have the same question...[biggrin]