1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum! Please be sure you bookmark our new address. Also, please register and join the conversations. It's free!

Dopamine Increasing Drugs?

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by akiravp82, Feb 25, 2011.

1. akiravp82

akiravp82 New Member

Just wondering what kind of meds they use to increase dopamine? and whats the side effects associated with them? also what natural supplements can be used to increase dopamine in the brain? thanks guys

2. hebsie

hebsie Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

...pregnenolone...hebs :thumbup1:

ps...and I am being serious. I'm noting a huge dopamine boost already, better than any prescription or OTC drug that I've tried before

3. alex

alex New Member

tyrosine worked wonders for me . you need to balance it with tryptophan or 5htp though or you risk lowering serotonin. Subligual L dopa was good to.

4. Technophile

Technophile New Member

ADD drugs likes Adderal and Provigil. Also, certain (but not all) antidepressants, like Wellbutrin.

5. TopGeek

TopGeek Active Member

Standardised Mucuna Pruriens contains 15% l-Dopa which in turn boosts, dopamine and growth hormone. It is also reputed to boost Testosterone indirectly. Do a search and you'll find plenty of references to it on this forum. This is an ayurvedic herb that is available in various forms

6. LeanGuy

LeanGuy New Member

Drugs like these don't increase DA, they just trick the body into thinking there is more, by activating the receptor. Long term it actually depletes it.

7. conquerit

conquerit New Member

Pramipexole will increase dopamine but it is highly controversial.

8. LeanGuy

LeanGuy New Member

Same thing... drugs just make the receptors feel increased DA. Not good for you in the long term.

To actually increase you need raw materials... tyrosine, phenylalanine, l-dopa (mucuna).

9. keith1958

keith1958 New Member

I like Mucuna Pruriens a lot. It seems to go well with the peptides I take. I only take it 3 times a week and cycle it.

10. Technophile

Technophile New Member

Can you provide a link where I might learn more about this?

11. TopGeek

TopGeek Active Member

Can you tell us what form and what dose you take. Which peptides do you take.

12. keith1958

keith1958 New Member

Beyond A Century
    Mucuna pruriens, 40% L-Dopa. 75 grams powder, 375mg each dose which yields 150mg Levodopa per serving. I take this on a empty stomach 30 minutes before eating.

Peptides
    100mcg of Modified GRF ( 1- 29)
    100mcg GHRP-6

I do this at bedtime and in the morning

13. TopGeek

TopGeek Active Member

That's interesting because I also recently started taking a much lower dose of mucuna capsules (400mg = 15% l-dopa, 1 cap morning and one in the evening.) It seems to be working reasonably well for my ED problem. However, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll leave it that my thread on the subject can be found with a search.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  14. chilln

chilln Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

The most effective and optimal way to boost dopamine, is the same as for boosting all neurotransmitters, ie: supplement with pregnenolone.

Pregnenolone won't boost dopamine beyond optimum, so if you want to go to town on dopamine, then preg won't deliver that result.

###

The beauty of pregnenolone supplementation is that it optimizes all our nuerotransmitters, not just dopamine.

Pregnenolone (as pregnenolone sulfate) regulates many of our critical neurotransmitters, and thus too low pregnenolone results in inadequate neurotransmitter regulation,

Neurotransmitters which are functioning below optimal get upregulated by pregnenolone to optimal (not beyond). Neurotransmitters which are functioning above optimal get downregulated by pregnenolone back to optimal (not beyond).

#########################################################

Here's one of the most important papers on the topic:

Pregnenolone Sulfate regulates NMDA receptors
    http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/24/46/10318

Two critical extracts from the above paper are:

and

Additional background factoids:
    1) Pregnenolone is bound to sulfate in the human body which is the long term storage form of pregnenolone.
    2) The NMDA receptors regulate all neurotransmitters, not just a few.
    3) Supplementing with too much pregnenolone results in "excess normalization", which results in "spacey" feelings, not feelings of depression, anxiety, aggression, OCD, or any other symptom of neurotransmitter excess of deficit.

15. LeanGuy

LeanGuy New Member

Chilln, what is going on when pregnenolone supplementation does increase anxiety, even in small doses? I've tried oral 25mg and TD 15mg.

16. Pace2

Pace2 New Member

I would like to know this as well. Leanguy and I both suffer from anxiety and even in small doses, I get an increase in anxiety especially over time. I generally feel better with low dose prog. Why would this be?

17. chilln

chilln Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

It usually means that your preg is sythesizing into cortisol (great) but you don't have enough thyroid hormones to work synergistically with the extra cortisol, so the extra cortisol stays in serum (not absorbed into cells) and thus your cortisol levels go too high, and that causes ACTH suppression, which slows down your natural pregnenolone production even longer than the boost you got from supplementing with preg - bummer !

That extended slowdown of your natural preg production results in your preg levels going even lower than they were before you supllemented with preg.

And that's finally what causes your anxiety.

###

In Phase 1 (preg supplementation only) the thing to do is to start at 5mg of preg (top-up dosing) and work your way upwards from there. Once you work out your max dose, which may only be 5mg or 10mg, then see how frequently you can re-apply that same dose.

If you discover that you can dose 5mg or 10mg preg every 2 hours then I suggest having a discussion with your medical professional adviser to temporarily switch to using replacement pregnenolone dosing. That's explained in Cortisol Boost 101 - here's the excerpt:

And the suggested way to identify your replacement dose is per Cortisol Boost 101 - scroll down to "Finding the pregnenolone "replacement" sweet spot".

18. GeoBob

GeoBob New Member

Ok I'm now convinced that pergnenolone is worth trying so any suggestions on where to purchase and what. I never trust adds so recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have been reading all of this thinking one step at a time and I think it' time for this step. Thanks for all the information, I'll be re reading the other threads again.

19. JanSz

JanSz Active Member

It would help to know what country you are living in.

20. Pace2

Pace2 New Member

so chilln, if both prog and preg boost cortisol, why is preg more suppressing? Why do I get anxiety feelings from preg in the morning, but not prog at night? (taken either or, not both). Is it because I have already high cortisol in the morning and low cortisol at night? Is my morning coffee and preg. what is causing hypertension? I thought preg optimizes, but I certainly can't do both preg and coffee without getting hypertense.

I will try preg again, but without caffeine this time. Last time I nearly hit the roof with 15 mg TD preg and a medium starbucks. Yikes! I will try your every two hour dosing as well. How do you think Serotonin fits into this? Somewhere there was a thread that suggested 5-htp slowed the suppression from preg.

Also, if both preg and prog boost cortisol, why do I get hypertension feelings from preg and not prog? It's the cortisol that boost neurotransmitters right? Or is preg doing something extra that prog does not?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011