1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Fish oil supplement - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by JanSz, Apr 1, 2015.

1. theturducken

theturducken Member

This is mainly directed @JanSz, but all voices are welcome. As someone looking to boost their DHA, who hates most all seafood, and is on a budget....what are some realistic ways to raise DHA?

What are available supplements and what are the more budget friendly seafood options that are also mild?

2. Mikluz

Mikluz Member

thanks a lot! that was very informative post! well i guess my career choice to become firefighter/paramedic ain't really the best decision for my health, especially since i'm feeling like shit still despite dialed TRT and almost optimal thyroid levels.

3. hebsie

hebsie Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

...do you realize how ridiculous that quote actually sounds? Seriously JanSz???

You Kruse-enthusiasts would choose to eat imported, farm raised, pellet-fed fish, all bred in pools of radioactive waste, rather than tasty, organic, pasture/grass-fed beef?

You must be suffering from too much EMF on the brain. Perhaps you need a good grounding!...hebs

4. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

I would start with Fatty Acids Analysis. LabCorp or Mayo Clinic.
    Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum
    and
    buy directly------->>>
    http://spectracell.mybigcommerce.com/
    Micronutrient Test
    $390.00
    =========================
    Reason:
    1-We are all different, you may have plenty of DHA regardless of what you do, missing nothing or missing something else than DHA

2-You have heard about those theories that ALA-->EPA-->DHA
    those conversions depends highly on good levels of micronutriens that are measured using Spectracell test.

5. KYinchampaign

KYinchampaign Member

Ironically I received this last week in my weekly subscription to Dovepress.
    http://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=21001

The effects of grounding (earthing) on inflammation, the immune response, wound healing, and prevention and treatment of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases

Authors Oschman JL, Chevalier G, Brown R

Published Date March 2015 Volume 2015:8 Pages 83—96

DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S69656

Received 19 June 2014, Accepted 8 July 2014, Published 24 March 2015

James L Oschman,1 Gaétan Chevalier,2 Richard Brown3

1Nature’s Own Research Association, Dover, NH, USA; 2Developmental and Cell Biology Department, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA; 3Human Physiology Department, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, USA

Abstract: Multi-disciplinary research has revealed that electrically conductive contact of the human body with the surface of the Earth (grounding or earthing) produces intriguing effects on physiology and health. Such effects relate to inflammation, immune responses, wound healing, and prevention and treatment of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The purpose of this report is two-fold: to 1) inform researchers about what appears to be a new perspective to the study of inflammation, and 2) alert researchers that the length of time and degree (resistance to ground) of grounding of experimental animals is an important but usually overlooked factor that can influence outcomes of studies of inflammation, wound healing, and tumorigenesis. Specifically, grounding an organism produces measurable differences in the concentrations of white blood cells, cytokines, and other molecules involved in the inflammatory response. We present several hypotheses to explain observed effects, based on current research results and our understanding of the electronic aspects of cell and tissue physiology, cell biology, biophysics, and biochemistry. An experimental injury to muscles, known as delayed onset muscle soreness, has been used to monitor the immune response under grounded versus ungrounded conditions. Grounding reduces pain and alters the numbers of circulating neutrophils and lymphocytes, and also affects various circulating chemical factors related to inflammation.

6. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Personally I buy wild fish as long as it is available: salmon, mackerel, sardines, cod, anchovies.
    Do you have any problem with that?
    I sense hostility?

7. hebsie

hebsie Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

...you're a well regarded poster here at ATM that many, including myself, look up to. Telling members of ATM that they would be better off eating (these are your words) -->

"Seafood from the dirties and radioactive water, raised on a Chinese farm, is still better than the best grass fed beef (2015 vintage)."

Yeah, that kinda sets me off a little. You have a lot of leniency here, but really??? That's just bad advice that some poor soul is going to take as the JanSz spoken truth...hebs

8. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

hebsie;
    there are people here who barely make ends meet, they need to know bottom line
    besides
    wild salmon in my local stores, looks ugly comparing to luscious looking and expensive farm raised.
    I buy oysters, not the expensive, I buy them from the Chinese store who brings them from Washington State. $9 per 16oz can. Just so you know there is radiation from Fukushima on our west coast.
    Not that much, do not be alarmed.

xks201 likes this.
  9. Mikluz

Mikluz Member

i take every statement with a grain of salt and i hope that everyone can think with their own head enough to not take JanSz saying about chinese farm fish better than grass fed beef seriously. i mean who the hell would really eat fish from that kind of source?

10. xks201

xks201 Active Member

I think everyone here has said stuff that later on they realized wasn't true. This whole forum and science for that matter is a learning experience. If Jansz in jest saying that dirty radioactive oysters are still healthier than grass fed beef makes another member run out and suck down radioactive dirty oysters then god help them. I take anything anyone says anywhere including our own president and or my own mother with a grain of salt. I think that is a healthy practice for anyone as no one on this planet is omniscient. I personally am quite entertained with novel suggestions from anyone, especially JanSZ. Half may not be 100% right but god forbid the day when people cannot propose new solutions. He did have a disclaimer saying he wasn't a doctor. I don't think it needs to come to the point where we all need to preface what we say with...this may or may not be good advice to take because I don't know anyone that does that with everything they say.I don't think anyone on this forum comes here to look for biblical advice on the best way to jump off a bridge.

Whenever I take fish oil or even GLA (I think as borage oil), I get inflammation in the stomach about 30 min after taking them.Therefore I cannot take them. Maybe I will try the vegetarian sourced lone DHA stuff Jansz mentions. Maybe the EPA in teh fish oil is causing the inflammation. JANSZ please comment

11. davidrn

davidrn Member

I thought the goal of fish oil was to alter the omega 3 to 6 ratio? (mine is 6-1, working on it, better than most of USA at 25 - 60 to 1)
    If excessive EPA suppresses O6, isn't that a good thing? I understood Omega 3 was anti inflammatory, Omega 6 was inflammatory.
    I understand its not that simple, but understood that was the concept.

12. bgnb

bgnb Active Member

Unfortunately, too often we make the assumption that: "Lack of A increases B, therefore, Lots of A decreases B" and to me, IMHO, this is what I find about fish oil and other putatively healthy oils is the belief that if there is a problem due to an insufficiency or imbalance that adding more of one may restore the balance.

its not that simple and probably can be harmful in some ways to go to either extreme. Eating 'fish' 2 -3 times a week may be better than taking pills ... but if someone has other issues that they are trying to address then its maybe the way to go to take more fish capsules than to eat more fish.

For me, the best thing is to take the least amount necessary for the best health and try to find a balance in every aspect of life.

13. spiderRico

spiderRico Member

Have been taking the Balance Oil by BodyBio.

Still to early to see how's it's working.

14. BrookFox

BrookFox Member

I buy the frozen wild caught salmon from Trader Joe's, it's pretty good.

I would never touch the "fresh" stuff in the local fish market.

15. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Thx.
    I buy mine at Costco, also frozen.

16. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Potentially bad move.
    I did the same because it sounds logical.
    The supplements that Body-Bios sells are for specific cases, not meant for everybody.
    Better is to do fatty acids analysis first (to see where you are).
    If can't do fatty acids analysis, eat seafood.

''''''

17. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

GLA is omega6.
    One takes GLA when his AA is low.
    LA-->GLA-->DGLA--->AA--DTA

Commonly Evening Primrose oil is used to supplement with GLA.
    Boage oil have most GLA out of commonly used supplements.
    It also have unlisted items and many complaints. Possibly that is also your problem.

I have low GLA and DGLA and AA
    I use Black currant oil. Supposedly, other than GLA it helps also with DGLA.

///////
    DHA is omega3 oil

Among omega3 and omega6 oils we mostly worry about DHA & AA.

There is a lots of talk about EPA, but that is only because of excessive supplementation.
    We need just right amount of EPA, but no more. Excess will suppress Omega6, among them GLA.
    ----
    Unles I get better data, just right amount means being the in mid range.

/////

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  18. spiderRico

spiderRico Member

Interesting, my Dr is a Dr Kane disciple.

What's your stance on the balance oil

19. Rahaas

Rahaas New Member

I've been following your suggestions JanSz. More fish, less fish oil pills. Noticeable difference in inflammation reduction, very noticeable. Thank you sir.

20. Yellow345

Yellow345 New Member

I can add some information about the health conditions that can be prevented by the intake of fish oil supplements: diabetes, asthma, developmental coordination disorders, movement disorders, dyslexia, obesity, kidney disease, weak bones, certain diseases related to pain and swelling such as psoriasis, and preventing weight loss caused by some cancer drugs.