1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

For Onychomycosis (nail fungus)

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts from Dr. John' started by Dr. John Crisler, May 29, 2015.

1. Dr. John Crisler

Dr. John Crisler Lord of the Forum Staff Member Super Moderator

Tea Tree Oil.

No kidding. A couple drops, twice per day, per infected nail, will do it. It's inexpensive, doesn't need a prescription, and no systemic effects (such as liver damage).

KYinchampaign likes this.
  2. KYinchampaign

KYinchampaign Member

3. Dr. John Crisler

4. SDMatt2015

SDMatt2015 Active Member

Neem oil will work too

5. Picton

Picton Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

6. Dr. John Crisler

7. CaptJohn

CaptJohn Member

I tried this for months with no success. I tried the drugs too, no luck. I eventually got my doctor to pull out both big toe nails. One grew back healthy and the other with fungus. Now 3 years later it's still infected.

8. Dr. John Crisler

It does take months, because fungi reproduce so slowly (when we can catch them and kill them), and the nail grows so slowly.

The nail bed was still infected, no doubt. Sorry you went through the discomfort and expense for nothing.

9. CaptJohn

CaptJohn Member

Exactly, the nailbed was still infected. That's how I got rid of one, the nail was gone and I scraped and cleaned the nailbed. But the anesthesia injections and ripping out those nails were so unpleasant the first time that I've just been putting off having a second try at the remaining one. One of these days......

10. richard0460

richard0460 Member

My pharmacist came up with a solution that you paint on the nail after filing with sand paper nail file. He mixes Terbinafine in a 2% solution of DSM. Paint on am and pm. It took about 6 wks for me. Fungus completely gone but the pharmacist emphasized how important daily filing of the thickened nail was. Dr. C have you heard of this?

11. Picton

Picton Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

There are 8 to 10% Terbinafine nail lacquers in existence that are used for about one YEAR, some have Ciclopirox added too which increases efficacy... 6 weeks may not get rid of a fungal nail infection whatever substance it uses because of the nature of nail infections, shorter use produces less cures, but even with a year, it can be only about 70% successful.

12. richard0460

richard0460 Member

What I did not say in my post is yes the nail fungus came back about 8 months later when my feet were frequently dirty and wet during a construction project in Thailand. The fungus was likely in the nailbed and reappeared when I did not keep the nails closely trimmed and the nails clean and dry. During the stress of construction I also notice intake of sugar increased and foot fungus loves hi blood sugar. The good news is this fungus can be tamed in most cases without the use of the wildly expensive and highly toxic oral anti fungals.

13. Captain

Captain Member

I mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil. I found it to work better on skin and may be the same for nails. I use it on what I think is keratosis on my arms. I have used it a lot less when I found out it has estrogen effects but I never noticed it.

14. Dr. John Crisler

I don't like the systemic absorption with the DSM. Too many things can go wrong.

15. r3drang3r

r3drang3r Banned

That's incredible, I have hidden my feet for years. I had a Dr once who I asked about a new drug I had heard of years ago (2001). He advised against it saying he had used it and it cured the nail, but came back with a Vengeance. He said if they don't hurt me to leave them alone. So simple an answer and I have been embarrassed for the better part of my life. Thank You all again.