1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Gut Cleanse & Microbiome Repopulation

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by BadassBlues, Jan 24, 2015.

1. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I follow a very clean lifestyle for the majority of the year. When the holiday's arrive, as most people, I tend to over indulge. I usualy follow my overindulgance with a cleanse and a diet. This year I decided to take a different approach. Most of my current research is on microbiomes and gut health. After taking a very close examination of my usual diet, I decided that some of my dietary choices may be affecting the balance of my gut flora in a negative way. There has been a lot of discussion on dietary choices and specific diet protocols. A lot of those discussions had bits and pieces pertaining to gut health, but nothing addressing a comprehensive approach to cleansing and repopulating the flora with the right amounts and types of microbiomes.

This was the protocol I put together. I have had tremendous success with it.

THE CLEANSE:

Psyllium Husk

This is taken twice a day, morning and before bed mixed in an 8 oz. glass of water Psyllium is also an excellent prebiotic.

Diatomaceous Earth and Bentonite Clay

I used this product, but there are others. Put one spoonfull in your psyllium at night. Mix the clay in a plastic glass with a non metalic spoon. Metal will interfere with the properties of the clay.

Wormwood, Black Walnut Complex

I have never considered the chance of having any kind of parasite and have never done anything to address the possibility. This is nasty stuff unless you love the taste of pure clove. I did a 10 day cycle, twice a day dissolved in a glass of water according to the directions on the product label. I used this product.

Lemon and Essential Oil Liver Cleanse

Squeeze 1 lemon and add to it 1 drop of food grade lemon essential oil and one drop of food grade peppermint oil.

DRINK ALL THE WATER YOU CAN TOLERATE ON THIS CLEANSE!!!

I can't stress this point enough. Water will help to flush away the toxins but it will also aid in the function of the clay. Bentonite can bind you up good if you don't have enough water and fiber.

THE DIET:

Fruit, apples, blueberries, oranges.

Oatmeal

Proteins like chicken or fish that are easily digested, no beef or pork.

Plain Greek Yogurt

Fermented sauerkraut or Kim Chee. Has to be fermented, not store bought.

Dark chocolate (excellent prebiotic)

High complex carb vegetables, some are a great source of resistant starch.

Lentils, kidney beans, black beans.

I won't go into amounts or caloric intake, you can proportion as you see fit for your purposes.

AVOID

Sugar, alcohol, processed food, simple carbs, wheat and gluten.

This was the hard part for me as I gave up drinking wine and eating wheat toast. There is a purpose for avoiding gluten on the cleanse however. Regardless of whether you have a true problem digesting gluten, it irritates the gut of everyone to a certain degree.

PROBIOTICS

This is where you need to do your research. There are hundreds of probiotics on the market, but a relative handfull of effective ones. Learn the benefit of each individual strain and choose a probiotic that has an extended release or an enteric coating. Getting the right amount and the correct strains is critical.

I went with this one.

I am working on a big post regarding specific strains and their relative benefits. There is some fascinating new science and a burgeoning new field of psychobiotics.

davidrn likes this.
  2. davidrn

davidrn Member

I too have spent a fair amount of time researching the Gut Microbiome over the past 2 years. I look forward to reading your research. Glad you mentioned "Non Pasteurized" Fermented foods, I make sauerkraut, carrots, pickles, and a few other foods for the soil based benefits. I shifted about 2 years ago to Raw milk, and making both Raw Milk Kefir and yogurt. Prior to the change, commercial dairy products, (OK, Ben & Jerry's to be specific) would give me diarrhea within an hour. Less than a week or 2 of raw milk and I could have any dairy i wanted. Turns out I was Pasteurization Intolerant, and not dairy intolerant.
    After a year of eating grain free, i reintroduced white rice and then later Gluten free Oatmeal. I use the Weston A Price method for preparing the Oatmeal prior to cooking. I rinse in water, then put into a quart canning jar with (Raw milk) whey and water. 2nd day I add Apple Cider vinegar, a good rinsing again, and then a day in just water. Don't know if it actually helps me, but I eat oatmeal a few days a week, and haven't had any stomach issues since. I follow the same protocol for all the dried beans, which i just resumed eating this past fall.
    I am hopeful that this can become a thoroughly discussed topic.

3. BadassBlues

I am gearing up to make sauerkraut and kim chee. I have been buying Bubbies in the health food store, its pretty good!

I am absolutely convinced this is the most important aspect of good health, well being and vitality. I truly feel better than I have in ages. The science behind this is amazing. In my next post, I will be discussing the use of specific strains being developed for the treatment of depression.

Bulldog likes this.
  4. killswitch6

killswitch6 Member

Any updates on this BABs?

5. BadassBlues

No updates to report on the cleanse other than it worked very well. The psychobiotic subject is still in the works.

6. davidrn

davidrn Member

I have continued my self education on the microbiome since this thread started. I continue with fermented foods daily, and an occasional visit to a local Korean restaurant (for home made KimChi) . I also am still using Potato starch as a prebiotic.
    I read about http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/ , and decided I liked the theory, so bought a 6 day course. I actually felt better on day #4 than I have in years.
    I was pleased to read my prediction on Fecal transplants came true. I believed since people were banking their babies cord (stem cell) blood, that eventually people would bank their own fecal material when they were young and healthy, for their Golden years.
    http://www.popsci.com/article/science/first-fecal-transplant-bank-opens

7. Knackersyard

Knackersyard Member

I've just arrived at this point. Can't believe it's taken so long. Been bumping into it for 3-4 years. Like watching a documentary about Hitler (OK, not your ideal poster boy) where it mentioned his physicians were feeding him preparations of soldier's faeces & mentioned the name Mutaflor https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutaflor

Coming across Dr Perlmutter & Grain Brain was what finally woke me up to this. I'm now 2 weeks into a completely Gluten/Wheat Free, zero refined carbs diet. Daily 5000 IU Vit D3, DHA, Coconut oil, plus a 30 million culture Probiotic & this Prebiotic http://www.bimuno.com

8. torrential

torrential Member

Davidrn: Elixa interests me as well. Now that it's available again I'm going to go for it. Are you participating in the uBiome project component?

I missed your prediction on poop in the freezer. All sorts of images and scenes come to mind. "OK, the leftover meatballs are thawed now. Wait, what????"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  9. davidrn

davidrn Member

I tried 1 course of Elixa last month, and will repeat soon. I also did do the UBiome gut test, which was why I did Elixa. I am waiting for awhile to repeat. I am attempting to get my every day fiber consumption to where it should be (Regardless of Paleo thought on the need).
    I did not predict poopsicles,(Attention,I would like to trademark this word), what I have been telling other medical professionals, for more than 3 years, was that fecal transplants were only going to become more mainstream (especially for CDiff). (and) I had watched how cord blood was being saved (frozen in nitrogen, like heads and bodies) for a possible use when someone as an adult has cancer and could use his own fetal stem cells. So when I read a local (Cambridge,Ma) company was freezing ( & preserving ) fecal samples, it makes sense that wealthier parents today, will set aside their children's fecal samples for potential use when they get old and have a GI issue (not just CDiff, but maybe also Autoimmune diseases ?)

10. Knackersyard

Knackersyard Member

I've ordered some http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/ so I'll give that a go.
    Has anyone ever compared Elixa with Mutaflor?

I'm going to order some Mutaflor as well, as I understand diversity is good.

11. Bulldog

Bulldog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have ordered some Elixa as well. Does anyone have anything to report on it?

12. torrential

torrential Member

My Elixa order shipped yesterday. Free The Animal is kind of home base for Elixa discussion. The founder, Karl, posts there and answers questions. He also responds to email pretty quickly.