1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

MAF Method

Discussion in 'Physical Fitness & Weight Training' started by PSD-1, Oct 30, 2015.

1. PSD-1

PSD-1 New Member

Does anyone have first hand experience using Dr. Maffetone's approach to aerobic training? Specifically, using the 180 HR formula?

2. thx

thx Member

I had to look up the 180 method. I found it in The Maffetone Method, page 61. As I understand it it's a modification of the 220 method. This is something I've followed for 20 years. 220 minus age estimates your maximum heart rate. For distance runners the goal is to stay at 70% of max. I follow the Mercola protocol. After a warmup get your heart rate up to 90% of max for 30 seconds, then rest 90 seconds and repeat for a total of eight sprint/rest cycles. Mercola himself does this on an elliptical. I do it on a treadmill set at 10% grade, 30 second sprints at 8.5mph. Some do it on a stat bike. It should be done no more than twice a week. The reasoning is that working that hard stimulates growth hormone secretion.

PSD-1 likes this.
  3. BJE

BJE Active Member

I don't understand the 220 minus your age deal. Although I am well aware of it. I don't understand why your heart rate max would drop as you get older. When I was much younger I would do aerobics in the 160 to 170 bpm range and I still do what's the difference now from then?

4. PSD-1

PSD-1 New Member

I believe HR is also adjust further + / - with criteria that are suppose to determine physiological age.

5. thx

thx Member

Using the 220 method my maximum heart rate should be 161. But when doing the Mercola 8's on a treadmill my heart rate goes above 175. I think after 30 years as a distance runner my cardio may be a bit better than the average couch potato.

thx

6. BJE

BJE Active Member

220 minus my age is 169 for a maximum heart rate. Then if you take into consideration that many will say that you should not workout at more than 80% of maximum, or even as low as 60%, that would put my exercising heart rate in the 101-135 range which seems awfully low for a workout. I couldn't get a very intense workout a 101bpm. I can easily get my heart rate up past 169.

My question then would be, why do they even worry about this max heart rate stuff? Are they afraid old people will work their heart too hard and die of a heart attack, or are they just concerned about being in the optimal "fat burning zone" which I think is sort of stupid anyway. I don't work out to burn fat, I work out to increase my strength and endurance, and to be fit, agile, and athletic, or in the words of Ben Greenfield, I just want to look good naked and live a long time.

7. PSD-1

PSD-1 New Member

I believe the point is to stay at a level using aerobic respiration as opposed to anaerobic. Being easier for the body to expel the waste product of aerobic respiration (CO2) than the waste product of the anaerobic process, which breaks down sugar producing excessive amounts of lactate.

8. BJE

BJE Active Member

But why would the heart rate number need to come down with age? It seems if a person is fit then the heart rate could stay the same regardless of age.

9. PSD-1

PSD-1 New Member

Tailored to fit the masses, not really a personalized formula. VO2 max decreases about 1% a year, we can deduce that lung function and heart rate also decline.