1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Marvin's labs..

Discussion in 'Member Journals' started by marvin, Jul 6, 2016.

1. marvin

marvin Member

I'm hypopituitary and take all hormones. Cortisol, Florinef, Synthroid, Cytomel, Testosterone, Metformin, HCG, Anastrozole, Progesterone, Baby Asprin, and LDN + the appropriate supplements. I've been on TRT for approx 6 years and I was feeling great up to 2 years ago when hypothyroid symptoms started to come back and it's slowly gotten worse. I suspected my Iron was not right but where I live in Canada the hospitals we go to for labs only do ferritin and only if ferritin is above range will they do the full Iron panel. My ferritin was always in range so therefore my MD said I was fine. However I've read in many places that ferritin alone doesn't give you the complete picture of your Iron.

So yesterday I was finally able to get a full Iron panel done at a private lab... unfortunately it's taken me 2 years to get here. So even though I'm on all these hormones I have these miserable symptoms. Now that I see the results of my Iron panel I believe I have too much Iron and likely have high iron symptoms mixing in with my hypothyroidism symptoms. I assume at this point I need a Therapeutic Phlebotomy but thought I'd post this and see if there are any comments.

Iron serum 34 (5.83 - 34.5) umol/L
    UIBC 39 (22.3 - 61.7) umol/L
    TIBC 73 (33.3 - 89.7) umol/L
    % Saturation 0.47 (0.16 - 0.56) F of T
    Transferrin 3.21 (1.80 - 2.88) g/L HIGH
    Ferritin 73 (25 - 336) ug/L
    Hemolysis Index 15 (0 - 9) HIGH

My Hematocrit is slightly over range and so is my Hemaglobin (results not handy)

2. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Transferrin is a protein of the beta globulin group that binds and transports iron in blood serum.
    Transferrin is little high, all other are within range.
    =======
    You have hypothyroid symptoms, what are they?
    You are taking Cytomel, what is your FT3 ?
    For thyroid hormone to work it must have decent cortisol, specially around 7;30AM
    What is your
    cortisol,serum at 7;30AM
    cortisol,saliva at 7;30AM
    -----
    It is always good to have very high vit D
    but it have to be made by your own body by sun exposure, suntan saloon or Sperti lamps.

//

3. marvin

marvin Member

Yes hypothyroid, feeling very cold, hands and feet so cold you wear socks to bed even in the summer. Dry skin, itchiness and other symptoms I'm familiar with that all scream hypothyroidism. But it's not surprising because the main symptom listed for high or low iron is hypothyroidism. Aside of that I've got polycemia from TRT and my Iron which plays a part in this so I've also have a specific iron overload symptom "Iron Fist" which is too tight a muscles around your knuckles which causes them to be sore and stiff. My thinking is I have to get a phlebotomy anyways for the high hemoglobin and hemotacrit and if the iron is off the phlebotomy will help that too. My FT3 is 5 out of 6 and that's on 25mcg cytomel which worked perfectly for years so I'm still on it. HC 30mg daily, I take 5000iu Vit D3 gelcaps daily and probably get too much sun.

4. marvin

marvin Member

I learned online that Americans blood donations accept blood with high hemoglobin whereas where I live in Canada doesn't accept high hemoglobin blood. So I called them and asked and they said no problem. So I drove across the border yesterday and donated blood easily. I have read from all the forum posts that if your iron is too high and you have fatigue then the moment you donate blood you will feel better almost immediately. The other symptoms like hypothyroidism will take months to resolve. So when I was driving down there I felt pretty fatigued because I've felt like this for at least a year. Long story short I left the blood clinic feeling great. I wasn't fatigued or tired. I felt alert like my head had cleared and for the first time in a while I felt upbeat. So my MD will send me more Rx's for labs so we can get this under control