1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum! Please be sure you bookmark our new address. Also, please sign up and join the conversations. It's free!

My wife may be pregnant again?!?

Discussion in 'Female Health & HRT' started by James Howlett, May 9, 2009.

1. James Howlett

James Howlett New Member

My wife may be pregnant again, we have an 8 year old girl and twin 2 year old boy’s and was wondering what other kind of supplements to add to her regimen. For the boy’s I gave her about 800 mcg of folic acid and Carlson’s fish oil capsules but that was about it. Any suggestions?

2. rick055

rick055 Active Member

Obviously don't take this as doctor's advice, but my wife takes a prenatal vite (and had been months before conceiving) which contains 800 mg folic acid, 500 mg DHA and, after having blood levels checked, 1400 iu vitamin D3.

3. willterner1982

willterner1982 New Member

I will hardly suggest you try consulting doctor as this is your fourth child so doctor advice is mandatory. I have heard about using hcg products in pregnancies.

4. Yellow345

Yellow345 New Member

Agree with the comment mentioned above. Pregnant women are very vulnerable to certain supplements and vitamins, so the doctor's advice is needed.

5. torrential

torrential Member

This is an old thread. In case anybody else is reading and interested, there are plenty of better resources out there for this question. Here's one, old but good: http://chriskresser.com/nourishing-a-growing-baby/

The most basic advise is to eat at least 100g protein every day. Every. Single. Day. Preeclampsia? Protein insufficiency. Gestational diabetes? Protein. Gestational hypertension? Protein protein protein. At least get in front of it before any of those things pop up. That may mean after a long day carrying the bump and handling everything else in life, before kicking her feet up and calling it a day, it's time to eat three or four hard boiled eggs, one more chicken breast, or yet another can of tuna. Seriously! BTW, the expensive line caught wild tuna and most canned salmon has little to no mercury to worry about. Don't forget fat - avocados are a nearly perfect food for growing a baby from scratch.

One tip that my wife thanked me for later was simple mineral supplementation. For baby last I had her on NOW Foods Full Spectrum Minerals in the third trimester and beyond. Said the recovery was faster and stronger than for all babies prior (and something about the parasite draining the very life from her bones :)). This may or may not be an optimal supplement but it was on my radar at the time and seemed to fit the bill. These days I would add Magnesium Citrate as well.

No one should take folic acid. Even though we've all been brainwashed into thinking it both "natural" and "essential," it's a synthetic chemical designed to mimic folate. In the lab some folic acid may convert to folate but in most humans it does not. Like so many fortification programs this one was well intentioned, targeting prevention of spinal bifida and other neural tube defects, but despite the long term fortification and propaganda as a nation the overall reduction rate has never exceeded 29%. This is entirely due to the aforementioned inability to covert folic acid into anything useful.

For folate eat veggies and if needed, supplement with Methylfolate.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. Johnathan J. Rains

Johnathan J. Rains New Member

Consult a doctor. Self-medication is very dangerous.

7. ledong123

ledong123 New Member

I just went an bought Ethical Nutrients Hi Strength liquid fish oil with concentrated omega-3 triglycerides 4.6g EPA 1.9g DHA 927mg Plus it says it undergoes molecular distillation.

8. Rosario Delee

Rosario Delee New Member

Congratulations James.

9. Joy Marks

Joy Marks New Member

I also think that consulting a doctor is a better option.