1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Possible Saw Palmetto reactions? Please look at my LAB Results

Discussion in 'Post-Finasteride Syndrome & Accutane Sufferers' started by Adrenalhelp, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

I have posted here before regarding adrenals and prolactin.

I have highlighted some questions i would be very grateful if you could answer. Looking for CHILLIN or doctor Johns help too if they could chime in....

Quick summary of my story:

Im 6ft 5, lean,Extremely masculine, lots of body hair! used to be pretty muscular

For the last 5 years I have been under a magnitude of stress. I was assaulted, smashed round the head, and have developed numerous problems either because of this, or because of Saw palmetto.

With one surgery to another etc and constant work pressures I began to start to feel extremely low in energy and zest. Sexually everything was perfect. Nothing has ever affected my libido and erections before. 4 years on and the stress was still high. I started to become concerned about my hair and energy so i began taking a multivitamin mens pill. You can buy this in your local shop! They didn't seem to help that much but i thought they may be helping my hair.
    I then noticed they had this ingredient called saw palmetto on the back? I googled it. SAW PALMETTO, great for mens sexual health, keeps your hair great, boosts libido. Win win right? Once the vitamins had ran out i just thought id skip to it and buy some saw palmetto. Bought Swansons Saw palmetto. Took one pill. little did i know the storm that was brewing.

Next day I woke up with a pale cold limp dick , no bloodlfow, ED, Anxiety, Cold hands, brain fog, insomnia, the works. I didn't attribute it to Saw palmetto straight away, however, I believe it was the straw that broke the camels back! Pushed my already lacking body over the edge.

As time went on things seemed to improve. One thing i noticed, on holiday to mexico roughly around a month later my sexual sides reverted completely. All the vitamin D? Then i got food poisoning and everything seemed to go down hill from there....

Got back and my brain fog got worse, sexual function became horrible. I developed prostatitis. Energy plummeted. I started getting a lot of infections and illness, my immune system broke. Then came all the doctors visits, Oh the joy.....One thing I've learnt is that the Uk health system and GP's are fucking terrible. They seem about 100 years behind everyone else.

In Janruary 2015 i was omitted to hospital with a heart attack, I had severe swelling of the heart sacks. One thing that was clear for me was that my body was riddled with inflammation.

Through all my tests there are certain things that stand out constantly:

ADRENALS, THYROID, PROLACTIN.

PROLACTIN

Ive had an MRI, it was clear.

Ive had success with some treatments. CABERGOLINE always helps initially for the first couple of weeks. Hanging dick with lots of blood flow, better mood! better erections, then it seems to taper off and i get symptoms of insomnia, cold hands, alcohol intolerance.
    Can anyone see any coloration between the cabergoline and worsening my thyroid adrenals?

Is prolactin just a high cortisol thing?

ADRENALS

Adrenals are a mystery, blood always shows I'm fine, saliva on the other hand doesn't. First saliva test i had showed i was tanked. See below. Second says its through the roof? How can it fluctuate so much. I will add on the day of the second saliva test i had such dry mouth i was literally standing there for 10 minutes per sample really trying to gather spit from my mouth. Not sure if this would skew the results?

I always have lowish cortisol symptoms, i find it hard to fall asleep, i wake up at 3 am starving and hungry, can't usually sleep again. Tired but wired. I have weight loss too, surely if cortisol was high i would have loads of belly fat? I used to be well built, never thick set, but i just keep shedding weight no matter how much i eat?

I tried HC, 10mg one morning, made me feel a little sleepy! but nice sleepy, had surge in libido, fantasied about women
    a lot!!! clearer head, pumped muscles, then i started to feel worse by the end of the day and the day after... WHY? Why did it make me sleepy?

THYROID

Thyroid is a strange one, for ages i was convinced it was fine! But why was i riddled with hair shedding constantly and cold hands/feet, constipation, brain fog, low energy, insomnia, tinnitus, eye twitching a little..

Sure enough i read about RT3. Had it tested. Very high in range.

My end initially made me try T4 only which seemed to make me worse in some respects. Stopped this and moved onto t3.
    Currently today I've managed to get a prescription for T3 from my endo. he's pretty good and is the only one I've found who listens! Ive been on liothyroquione for 3 days now. I take 5 mg 4 times a day. Ive read a lot of Paul Robinsions book regarding rt3. MY HAIR HAS STOPPED SHEDDING!!!! i have a little more energy, however sleeping has worsened.Cold hands and feet aren't there yet and still hasn't raised my temps much? I can never get up to 37 degrees. Are my adrenals tanking from the thyroid meds?

What I don't understand is that I'm still very manly, i keep growing new hair all the time on my back and shoulders. My chest is like a rug. I still have muscle and definition even though its not as much. Not going to be seen as I've been off work and exercising! I still have receding hairline. My dick hangs normal 98 percent of the time. My 3 ADIOL G is top of the range. My beard is thick, my voice is deep. Just lack the libido and the spontaneous erections and need to get rid of brain fog!!

One more thing, i still get morning and night time erections, however they aren't usually solid like the old days!

HERE ARE ALL MY LABS OVER THE PAST YEAR.

I DO HAVE DETAILED LIVER PROFILES, FULL BLOOD COUNTS TOO IF ANYONE THINKS THEY ARE RELEVANT.

Thanks for your help..

Attached Files:

2. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

more results

Attached Files:

3. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

4. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

5. Picton

Picton Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

6. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

ive always kept a log of symptoms etc I've had since I started to become ill. My fatigue and health was deteriorating way before saw palmetto. But I wasn't aware until recently that it could have had such an effect on my health. I stated I believed saw palmetto was good for men's health and that I didn't initially think it was what caused it. I now think this might be behind all of my persistent problems. I never attributed it to saw palmetto as I never thought a herb could do so much damage! With everything that had happened to me I thought the last thing to have caused it was a pill. Back in my innocent days of not understanding anything about the human body!
    I had a denial stage that surely it couldn't be that but I am coming to terms now that it's a possibility.

Hopefully that's cleared it up.

7. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

No one? I feel slightly disheartened, I'm like all of you, suffering and in need of help and guidance, instead I feel like I'm being outed as a liar.

8. Picton

That's not the intention, but it is hard enough to come up with constructive comments at the best of times, when the story varies it makes it a lot harder and inevitably others will tend to give it less credibility.

Its for this sort of reason that we ask people to come up with a reasonably detailed history in the beginning to prevent things going off on a tangent.

I have said something to this effect in a number of posts, but the forum is not here to make diagnoses, it's to help point the search in the right direction and to help you in your contact with your own Doctor or Doctors, Internet diagnosis is simply impossible, and if you are lucky someone will make constructive comments, that hopefully will ease the journey but there is not the experience out there in EVERY situation, and to be fair, yours is not as "everyday" as most, there are complicating factors that I, and no doubt others haven't experience of!

If Saw Palmetto IS the source of some or all of the problems, then I have only coincidental knowledge and can't help much - that's the problem there, and can only refer you to the Post-Finasteride threads.

9. Yellow345

Yellow345 New Member

I thought that Saw Palmetto is the natural treatment that cannot cause any troubles with health.

10. Picton

If there is a substance in the Universe that has zero potential for ill or undesirable effect, then I haven't heard of it!

Every drug or natural treatment comes with drawbacks, it's a matter of balancing the risks - ie. is the outcome worth the potential risk?

Only the individual can make that decision.

11. Yellow345

Yellow345 New Member

12. Adrenalhelp

Adrenalhelp Member

I've read about another guy on this forum that had problems with prolactin. He used caber and felt low cortisol symptoms. When I take cabergoline I feel much better but then after a week or so I start gettin insomnia and reduced sexual function etc etc. Much of these are low cortisol synptoms. Is it possible its lowering my acth to much? I know that cabergoline can have this effect? Maybe I need the caber and to supplement with hydrocortisone too?

Thanks again

13. vincentv

vincentv Member

Sounds like you have PFS.

I have same issues. Good blood cort, low saliva cort, symptoms of low cort. No libido, almost everything you state. I took finasteride.

I have been working on this for 7 years. If you want to get in contact with me let me know.

14. thx

thx Member

My understanding is that the active ingredient in saw palmetto is Beta-Sitosterol. Looking for a natural alternative to prostate pills I took beta-sit. It led to PFS because beta-sit is a 5ari exactly like Proscar and most of the other prostate medications.

It's been a couple years now since stopping the beta-sit. Libido has returned for the most part but never got back to what it was before beta-sit.

15. moonman

moonman Member

I have PFS from Saw PAlmetto too. It does look like 5ar inhibitors "can break the camels back". There are many pathways in which it inhibits, but one is that it severly lowers ALLOPREGENEOLONE. This is a nuerosteroid, the bodies main way of dealing with stress. So its no surprise that so many of us had stress on top that broke us. Who knows what happened chemically in our body and stuck.

Start taking HC. 30mg mg per day. If your RT3 is high you may want to clear it with T3, but eventually go onto NAture-Throid. Once that is settled, start back on Cabergoline. TRT wont help, so dont bother. You may need an AI if you E2 is too high.

16. bb121

bb121 New Member

moonman,
    What does HC stand for?
    bb