1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Resistant Starch

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by JanSz, Mar 11, 2014.

1. torrential

torrential Member

Jan,

I gave a bunch of advice but did not answer your questions. Here we go:

Tatertot goes over sources of starch and covers raw potatoes. Yes you can eat raw potatoes but 1, it's not for everyone 2, it takes a lot of eatin' to get much starch and 3, the solanine poison in and under the peels (the green stuff) is nasty. In case anyone is wondering, the solanine is water soluble and is completely cleared out during the process that creates the powdered stuff.

Juicing is ineffective. The starch is in the flesh and very little is released by squeezing and it falls to the bottom anyway, does not dissolve. You have to shred, soak, capture and dry the white sludge at the bottom. The white stuff is the stuff, man. Go for the white stuff...it's goooooooooooood!!! Ever make latkes? You can usually see a pile of starch at the bottom. Seems like a real pain in the ass when you can buy the powder @$2.71 for a pound and a half, which may last 'ya three or four weeks.

Beans. Canned beans and restaurant beans are simply cooked as-is without soaking. This sux because canned beans are so very, very convenient. The soak is the key: fermentation takes place and that clears the toxins that are present in all beans. 24 to 48 hours. No need to rinse or discard the rinse water. It's not the water rinsing them away, it's the fermentation consuming and transforming the toxins into harmlessness.

Are you catching the other side of that? Canned and restaurant beans STILL HAVE THE TOXINS. Stop right now, canned bean eaters. Like I said, it sux.

Interesting Factoid Submitted with No Reference Whatsoever: Beans have tiny little holes on their surfaces that are exactly the right size and shape for the Lacto bacteria who ferment all of that badness away. How about that.

2. hebsie

hebsie Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

3. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

One more question.

It is my understanding that the eventual goal is to eat 4 tablespoons/day of
    Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch Unmodified.

The break in period is about a month.
    Lots of very smelly fartage within that first month is to be expected.

Question;
    how to arrange daily schedule around that smell.

I assume, ending dinner at 6PM, dinner that includes 4tbsp of starch, should assure that all the smell ends by next day 8AM.
    I usually have one or two bowel movements 7-7:30AM, so expect all clear and no smell after that.
    After that time it is safe to mingle with other people.

Does that sounds as good plan?

4. torrential

torrential Member

It's a plan, and you know how long a plan is good for. Right until the battle begins.

I'd recommend starting slow, 1/2 to 1T, just to see how you react. Do that for a week then try 2T for a week, etc. There is no rush. You can also monitor your FBG and since you'll doubtless be tinkering in other ways (who can resist?) it will give everything time to settle in. Smellage varies quite a bit. Some have it, some don't. Some don't then do. It's mostly the hydrogen producers that cause it so it will depend in part on who's already domiciled in your tube.

When he first started with BRM Nickoley reported twenty second long farts with minimal smell. Many who work up to a full dose have no significant fartage by that time. For a few, RS made things worse but in all such cases that appears to be an aggravation of SIBO or some other previously known problem for which RS is part of the cure, ultimately. Start slow, see how it goes. In the microbiome there are gas producers as well as gas consumers, so when in balance the gas available for escape may be minimized. Give the bugs time to adjust to their new found bounty.

As they've said on FTA, if you're not farting you're not fermenting, and (this part is my contribution) if you're not fermenting you're not fully alive. Our social construct of body noises = bad is relatively new and may in fact represent a whole century of metabolic collapse.

Do you eat fermented foods? I have become more diligent about eating a couple forkfuls of Bubbie's kraut every morning before breakfast (actually I've started skipping breakfast in favor of a 16 hour fast) and in the evening before dinner.

I and many others take their RS right before bed. Some do it in the morning. Some have it throughout the day. Some don't worry about it and do a little bit of this and a little bit of that. It does not seem to interfere with any supplements I happen to be taking, not surprising since it's indigestible. One theory about an advantage to taking the whole dose at once is that it may be enough to saturate the entire large intestine from end to end. There are different bug families at different locations as the PH changes and available foodstuffs vary. I think you need a little NSP to transport it along, a nonstarch polysaccharide such as Psyllium husk.

I used to take 1T of Psyllium every night but now I try to use 1/2t every day or two in a smoothie. Tatertot and Dr. BG call that combo Bionic. I used to mix it all in milk, too - absolutely delicious! - but I'm not doing milk right now. A few weeks ago, all of a sudden my 4T PS 1T Psyllium started causing massive gas. I cut back on the Psyllium and found relief. Not sure what happened, may have been something I ate! For some Psyllium is too rough and causes pain. Again, YMMV. Go slow, try to find what works for you. Very possibly that somewhere in the comments on FTA someone will have described your situation - hundreds of people have shared their stories.

These days when all is going right I might have a couple of medium toots upon rising, a two or three movements before 7, then a couple minor toots during the day. As far as I know the smell is not significant. But that's what I always think.

5. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

http://www.intechopen.com/books/car...echnology/resistant-dextrins-as-prebiotic#B58

Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology » "Carbohydrates - Comprehensive Studies on Glycobiology and Glycotechnology", book edited by Chuan-Fa Chang, ISBN 978-953-51-0864-1, Published: November 21, 2012 under CC BY 3.0 license
    Chapter 12
    Resistant Dextrins as Prebiotic

By Katarzyna Śliżewska, Janusz Kapuśniak, Renata Barczyńska and Kamila Jochym
    DOI: 10.5772/51573

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  6. CFIDS

CFIDS Member

7. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

http://www.tahomaclinicblog.com/berberine-diabetes/

===================================
    http://www.amazon.com/Berberine-400...UTF8&qid=1395492881&sr=1-1&keywords=berberine

Berberine 400 mg 60 Caps by Swanson Premium
    by Swanson Premium
    Price: $13.95 ($7.27 / oz)
    ===================================

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=berberine

8. torrential

torrential Member

9. torrential

torrential Member

Jan,

What were your results with Metformin? How much did you take, when, how, how long, what type.
    Also, if you don't mind sharing this info, did 23andme say you were a likely underresponder?

10. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Yes 23andme said that I am under-responder to metformin.
    I am not taking it now. I was taking 2x 500mg.

11. torrential

torrential Member

Two things I learned about Metformin. First, effectiveness requires 1.5 to 2g per day. Second, it's got a relatively short half life so frequent dosing is helpful. A protocol that worked for me was 500mg (regular not extended release) x 4 @early morning, late morning, early afternoon, bedtime. On an empty stomach whenever possible. Worked like champ in lowering FBG, from 99-104 down to 85-90. I tapered down and stopped Metformin after Resistant Starch came to my attention. I am a likely underresponder too.

Of note: I was also using R-ALA at the time. After adding Metformin my BG would drop significantly during the day, sometimes below 80. This caused symptoms of hypoglycemia, which were new to me and quite unpleasant. I stopped the R-ALA in favor of the Met.

Heads up: For anyone new to Metformin please pay heed to all of the warnings and guidance. It's one of the most widely used drugs in the world and it just so happens that it may have benefits beyond its original application of Type 2 Diabetes. There is plenty of high quality information is out there for you to study. I am not recommending that anyone jump in with 2,000mg without testing empirically and/or following the guidance of your medical advisor. There is a great range of individual response; some experience great upset and other varieties of nastiness even at low doses. If Metformin is a path you need or want to follow, start slow and see what works for you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

I newer had more than 1g/day Metformin.

Yesterday ate my first tablespoon potato starch, uneventful.
    Just finished my second tablespoon for today.

The plan is to get gradually to 4tbs/day.

/

whitegato777 likes this.
  13. hebsie

...anybody interested in learning more about RS should watch the four minute movie (found at this link)

The Hungry Microbiome

14. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Nice video.

=============
    2 weeks ago I started eating unmodified potato starch.
    It is at 4 tablespoons/day.
    Not even once I had any problems, no bad gasses, larger stools.
    I also started eating potatoes, lukewarm.

Eventually it would be a good idea to check my glucose.

15. cpeil2

cpeil2 Active Member

Lukewarm potatoes? Then German potato salad must be full of resistant starch.

16. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Green bananas have 38 grams.

If you’re eating your bananas when they’re fully ripe, you may be missing out. Here’s why you should eat green bananas.

Of course, you’ve eaten a banana – but have you ever eaten a green banana? If not, maybe you should. Eating green bananas offers some advantages you won’t get from eating the ripe, yellow fruit. What are the health benefits of green bananas?

Health Benefits of Green Bananas: What Are They?

Green bananas aren’t a new exotic breed of fruit. They’re the unripe version of the same old banana most people know and love. Green bananas are “starchier”, but the type of starch they contain is resistant starch. Resistant starch is a type of starch that isn’t digested in the same way as most starches. Instead of being broken down, they pass through the intestines unchanged – which gives them the characteristics of an insoluble fiber.

Eat Green Bananas and Reap the Benefits of Resistant Starch

The resistant starch that comes from eating green bananas has some interesting health benefits. It may even help with the battle of the bulge. High fiber foods and foods that contain resistant starch increase satiety and reduce overall calorie consumption, probably due to their effects on digestion and satiety hormones.

According to one study, the resistant starch in green bananas increases the rate of fat burning by blocking the ability of the body to use carbohydrates as fuel. When the body can’t burn carbohydrates as fuel, it’s forced to use fat instead. Foods high in resistant starch also increase insulin sensitivity which can help people with type 2 diabetes better control their blood sugars.

Another Reason to Eat Green Bananas

Resistant starch has another important function. It helps to keep the digestive tract healthy by acting as “food” for friendly, probiotic bacteria. These good intestinal bacteria ferment the resistant starch in green bananas and use it to make energy. This helps to drive away bad bacteria that can cause anything from a bad case of diarrhea to chronic colon problems. When resistant starch is fermented it produces short-chain fatty acids that help to keep the colon healthy, and, possibly, reduce the risk of colon cancer.

Another surprising benefit? The short-chain fatty acids produced by the fermentation of resistant starch increases the ability of the body to absorb nutrients – especially calcium.

Other Health Benefits of Green Bananas

All bananas are a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium, and green bananas are no exception. People on low carb diets often avoid bananas because of their higher sugar content, but eating green bananas, in moderation, could have benefits for both dieters and diabetics.

Read more: http://healthmad.com/nutrition/the-many-benefits-of-eating-green-bananas/#ixzz2ynOLKZI9

17. hebsie

...it took a few days, but I find myself enjoying my daily green banana. Much better than the standard, over-ripe (and overly sweet) yellow ones.

18. cpeil2

cpeil2 Active Member

So you learn to tolerate that astringent quality green bananas have? I wouldn't mind the lack sweetness but foods with an astringent mouth-feel are just about deal-breakers.

19. hebsie

...I'll admit the first half-dozen were absolutely horrid. I don't know why, but suddenly I crave that bland, chalky taste.

I find them easy on my stomach too. Ripe bananas make me feel kind of nauseous, and at times, give me bad stomach cramps. For whatever reason, the unripe ones just don't do that.

20. KYinchampaign

KYinchampaign Member

Hello hebsie. How many are you eating per day?

Thanks