1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Resistant Starch

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by JanSz, Mar 11, 2014.

1. KYinchampaign

KYinchampaign Member

LOL... No, that's not me. That is absolutely disgusting, grotesquely disgusting. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd flip his underwear inside out. So he could wear them twice before washing them... You know, all about saving time.

LOL

The minds of some people is certainly disturbing.

2. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Plantain chips are delicious. If you were to dehydrate them and season them up a bit, they would retain all of the RS. Here is a recipe that follows the subject matter:

http://ieatmostlymeat.com/dehydrated-plantain-chips/

I would recommend seasoning them, the sky is the limit.

3. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Disturbing yes... and vapid as well. Seriously, does he believe people would be fascinated by that? His brain has been calcified by an over indulgence of social media.

4. hebsie

hebsie Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

...nice link. Also from there --> Properly Prepare Black Beans for Resistant Starch

Properly preparing black beans for resistant starch and to ease digestion is very simple. It just requires a bit of planning ahead. I’ve found soaked black beans are tolerated by my body very well. I had been avoiding all legumes for the past four years because they irritated my gut and made my joints hurt. A 24 to 48 hour soak eliminates those problems.

Soaking Black Beans

Place the dry black beans in a bowl and remove any broken beans or foreign pieces. Fill the bowl with water – preferably filtered water. The beans will swell to at least twice the original size. Add about one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the bowl, the acid of the vinegar seems to assist the process. After a few hours, add water if needed to cover beans

Then let sit 24 to 48 hours. I prefer to let them soak at least 48 hours and like to see signs of sprouting before I cook them. From what I understand, once they are starting to sprout all the potential gut irritants are gone from the bean. Change the water? I’m not sure, I’ve tried it both ways and each seems to work well.

Rinse well. Place in a pot and add fresh water. Simmer for at least two hours on low heat until the beans are tender.

Increase the Resistant Starch

Ideally, you’ve prepare a large batch. Now you can separate it out into usable portions and place in freezer bags. Transfer the bags to the freezer. The interesting part is that the freezing increase the amount of Resistant Starch(RS) in the beans. It goes through a process of retrogradation, this produces RS that will not breakdown easily by further cooking.

Thaw and enjoy

Throw a bag of the beans in the refrigerator and enjoy them. I like to add them to eggs. Or, make a simple salad by adding diced onion and garlic and sprinkle with cumin and olive oil.

5. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. hebsie

...your own research is required here, or do some reading over at FTM, but I recently added some of this to my RS protocol:

Now Foods, Glucomannan, 100% Pure Powder, 8 oz (227 g)

...approx 1/4tsp x 2/day

Now Foods, Organic, Inulin, 100% Pure Powder, 8 oz (227 g)

...approx 1tsp x 4/day -- I just toss some in my coffee as it's semi sweet, and one of the suggested uses is to replace sugar

Both of those are completely inert to me (maybe a tad bit of gas, but pleasant gas if that counts). Both work as good prE-biotics.

I then started some Now Foods, Saccharomyces Boulardii, Gastrointestinal Support, 60 Vcaps

...two capsules twice per day. Wow, I think this stuff really woke up my GI tract -- in a good way. Lots of energy, a definite boost when using this.

Last I added Advanced Orthomolecular Research AOR, Advanced Series, Probiotic-3, Natural Probiotic Formula, 90 Veggie Caps

...one capsule a day is all I seem to tolerate. With it, definitely more energy, mental clarity, just feel 'better'.

Now I should add, I'm about 11 days out of stopping four months worth of (suppressive doses of) thyroid meds (stopped cold turkey), so that does add another variable as my body adjusts to that rather dramatic change.

FWIW, I seem to responding very well, especially since adding the above (along with some food sourced RS, and the occasional TBSP of Mung Bean Starch).

On route from iHerb is the Garden of Life, Primal Defense, Ultra, Ultimate Probiotic Formula, 216 UltraZorbe Veggie Caps, but it could be two weeks till it arrives (via International mail).

7. hebsie

..some (like Dr. Grace Liu) are seriously recanting their position on RPS -- Animal Pharm

Raw potato starch at high dose (like advised by some people incl me lol)
    --raises insulin significantly
    --hampers healing of the liver and hepatic fat congestion
    --creates competition where B longum dies and goes away
    --feeds half the gut only thus substantially lowering gut diversity (this not what anyone wants)
    --starves ALL THE IMMUNOPROTECTIVE ancestral strains
    --suppresses all the strains that make us HUMAN and produces disabled #hamsterguts that are lacking half or more of the weapons to fight cancer or disease
    --increases inflammatory TGs in T2 diabetics
    --can feed several strains of vipers if they are in the upper gut (no they don't 'ride' the fucking way to the colon -- they ferment right there LOL)
    --the vipers they feed are found in nearly every western disease from breast cancer, colorectal cancer, colitis (like yours)/IBD/Crohn's, IBS, mental disorders/anxiety/depr, T2D, obesity, celiac, autoimmune disorders (all -- AS, hashi/Graves, RA, MS, etc).

8. davidrn

davidrn Member

Hebs, Not to go off topic here, but thanks for the Pot starch comment, I just listened to her talk on Bullet proof video. I may have benefited from the Raw Milk , and my past year habit of touching the farm animals every chance I get. My Liver enzymes have been improving, but this is more because I stopped taking Methotrexate and Enbrel, but tough of the Liver. I started reading her blog, animal pharm, I like the research I am reading so far. It appears there is no reasonable priced soil based probiotics available on the market. Amazon starts in the $40-50 a month range. I won't spend that much.
    I have slowed my supplement usage to 3x/wk, before & after hitting the gym, so, my PS usage has dropped also, but no sign positive or negative from this.
    In addition to the farm (not pets) animal touching, I also stopped washing produce from my own , organic garden and orchard. I looked up some opinions yesterday, wondered if I could just eat a little, (mcg's) of Azmolite, I add it to my soil in the spring for micro minerals. Appears not considered safe for human consumption.