1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum! Please be sure you bookmark our new address. Also, please register and join the conversations. It's free!

Severe hamstring cramps at night of all times?

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by 00slotiv, Mar 12, 2011.

1. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

Okay, I have been having to deal with severe leg (hampstring only) cramps at night off and on. Anyone else?

Oddly, I will simply flinch, if I can even sense that, when I am barely awake in the middle of the night, and one hamstring will tighten up so bad I literally get pressed againsed the wall, forget to breath, wonder if I should yell out for help. :scared:

Then, in an effort to relieve tension off that hamstring, will involuntarily raise my other leg only to have that one have a cramp attack. It is worse than a bad dream since I don't know why it happened or if will happen again after I fall asleep.

I keep hydrated since I love water with apple cider vinegar but good grief, this is annoying.

HAN, since you are pretty stacked, is muscle size a factor? My thighs are noticeably larger these days and used to be described as chicken legs. They are pretty decent and at least look like I run or jog.

Is there are chance I could blow them out at night because it sure feels that way when it hits. Feels like I got shot in the back of the leg. I mean, I just move a little bit and bang!

Bob

2. mouk

mouk New Member

Are you on a statin drug ? .

3. punxweb

punxweb New Member

I get leg cramps from time to time but not to your extent. Get some club soda with quinine in it. The quinine really help to reduce muscle cramps.

4. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

Thanks. I have never heard of that.

Bob

5. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

No. I mean, Niaspan and to an extent prescription fish oil, but I have been using those longer than this has been occuring. I do take a potassium supplement but maybe it isn't enough?

Bob

6. cpeil2

cpeil2 Active Member

I get the same sort of thing - the slightest wrong movement in bed causes the adductors in my right thigh to lock up. If I can wake up and hop out of bed to put weight on the leg soon enough I can head it off. But if I don't, it's really nasty - takes a minute or two to loosen it up. I assumed it had something to do with my spine problem.

7. Massa

Massa New Member

are you guys taking huge amounts of magnesium without adequate calcium?

if not, try adding some taurine before bed 2-3g and see if that helps

8. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

I'm taking calcium too. Right innner thigh started cramping yesterday, yikes!

Bob

9. JackBauer

JackBauer New Member

I believe Potassium supplements only have 1% of your RDA due to concerns that a high potassium intake, all at once, without food, could cause a heart attack or something?

Get some low sodium V8 juice...

10. JanSz

JanSz Active Member

Keep Tonic Water by you bed site.
    It helps with cramps in emergency, contains quinine.

Possibly you are low (or just marginal) in magnesium.

Magnesium is hard to raise by swallowing it (diarrhea).

On blood test you should have
    Magnesiun,serum >2.0mg/dL(1.6-2.6)

There is also Magnesium,RBC test, but I have not seen desirable range.

also:
    http://barttersite.org/lab-diagnosis-of-magnesium-deficiency/

If swallowing pills or liquid
    or using Magnesium oil (Swanson Ultra)
    does not help,
    then
    use enemas with Epsom Salt

I got about Epsom salt from dr Mayhill site
    I devised (elegant) way of doing those (otherwise messy) enemas my self.
    Look at one of my posts for details (if you get to that point).

11. thx

thx Member

For me, a combination of Creatine, running 50 miles a week and 30 minutes in a sauna daily all led to severe cramping day or night. If I yawned my masseter muscle would cramp. If I sneezed my intercostals would cramp. During the night hamstring and calf cramps would wake me and have me praying that these cramps wouldn't tear the muscle. Someone on a runner's website suggested magnesium, 500mg per day. That worked, or perhaps stopping the creatine and sauna did it.

thx

12. CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue New Member

I have low magnesium (1.5) and my doctor recommended me to take two times the daily dosage of Magnesium Glycinate by Solaray. No diarrhea issues at all. Will probably get retested in a month or so.

13. j-man1

j-man1 New Member

When I went on an elimination diet (for crohn's) I started cramping up daily. Magnesium Glycinate worked immediately for me. No issues since.

14. chilln

chilln Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Assuming your diet is OK and water levels are good, it's due too thyroid hormone exhaustion. Until I started boosting my thyroid hormones via T3 and / or T4 supplementation, I nailed these via Iodoral supplementation.

15. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

Sounds a lot like my case but I can't run because of my back and I don't take creatine. It hits without notice and feels like your muscle is going to tear apart. When both hit simultaneously, I almost panic. Hasn't happened since I started this thread though.

Bob

16. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

This seems to happen without respect to diet or water intake Chilln. As for thyroid, T4 has been a little above the bottom, free T3 at the top of the range, and reverse T3 is at the bottom of the range and recently was less than that.

It may be more likely if I work my legs, but I don't work them that hard because of my back, but this hasn't been happening untill recently.

Bob

17. chilln

Thanks for the heads up. Seems to be creatine related after all.

18. 00slotiv

00slotiv Active Member

Chilln,

I don't use creatine though.

Bob

19. medgerton

medgerton New Member

I had calf cramps at night a couple years ago. I was taking ZMA (for the zinc) and a men's multi vitamin with minerals at the time. I thought that the cramping had something to do with an unbalanced electrolyte state so I stopped taking ZMA and the multi-vitamin. I stopped having cramps. I do think that it is easy to screw up your electrolytes by taking mineral supplements. And the tempation is to add another then another to address problems.
    Bottom line for me was I didn't need them and taking them produced an unbalanced state.

20. chilln

Interesting Bob, neither do I, but I thought you would be supplementing with creatine because you're keener than I am at putting on muscles.

Perhaps your T3 and cortisol are not balanced, ie: perhaps your T3 is top of the range, but it's not matched by cortisol which needs to be relatively high too, to work synergistically with such high T3 levels.

Normally the obvious symptom of this sort of imbalance is drowsiness during the day, but in your case the imbalance would be ocurring at night, when drowsiness is a good thing, so then you experience secondary effects of the imbalance between T3 and cortisol, such as cramping.

###

I know it seems a complex explanation for a simple problem, but I'm still going on my own experiences where cramping was due to an imbalance between my T3 and cortisol (in my case too low T3 and cortisol combined).