1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Sibo, Ibs And Shbg Connection (without Elevated E)?

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by JCFL, Jan 10, 2019.

1. JCFL

JCFL Member

I searched through the board and didn't find any posts on a potential connection between SIBO (loose stool) and high SHBG without elevated E.

To preface, I'm on no other meds. I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds. Clean diet, limited carbs. I get tested every 6 months and all my bloodwork is normal except for my high T and high SHBG. I take T overcome my high SHBG. (Ranges from my most recent bloodwork below on a few of my labs results for you data hounds.)

My SHBG has always been high since I've had it tested. Since being on TRT (2012), I've had multiple bouts with SIBO / IBS (loose stool). I never had the issue until I started TRT. It comes on about every year and it goes away with a course of antibiotics, but always comes back.

I did come across this: https://fixyourgut.com/testosterone-digestive-health/ and in it:

Males are also more prone to develop hydrogen dominant SIBO (diarrhea) over methane dominant SIBO (constipation) because of testosterone increasing colonic stimulation. Testosterone is essential for proper digestion and may shield us from specific digestive disorders while making us more prone to others. 28 29

In the footnote 29: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3949254/ and in it this footnote: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974649

While neither article directly references an individual like myself...normal E, high T, high SHBG, it's likely there is a gut connection between hormones, SIBO and IBS.

Anyone that has any information that could help would be appreciated. Again, not looking to hear connections between SIBO/IBS and elevated E...so thanks in advance.

Total T 1259.1 ng/dL (264-916) HIGH
    E (sensitive) 21.2 pg/mL (8.0-35)
    SHBG 68.5 nmol/L (16.5-55.9) HIGH
    DHEA-S 349.2 ug/dL (102.6-416.3)

2. Captain

Captain Member

Maybe if you have high SHBG your TBG is also high. This would have a gut connection by how fast things are flowing through it. Thyroid is linked to IBS and constipation. Low carb diet can cause your problem as well if your not getting enough insoluble fiber.

JCFL likes this.
  3. JCFL

JCFL Member

Thanks...I've had TBG tested before, it's normal. And I don't have constipation. As far as diet, I am meticulous...I eat sufficient amounts of everything but don't over-do anything either.

4. Captain

Captain Member

Lack of insoluble fiber with lots of meat will give you the runs not constipation. Most think its the opposite.