1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Suffering From Polycythemia

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by Sam Johnson, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Sam Johnson

Sam Johnson New Member

I have been on testosterone injections for about 5 years 1 200mg injection split done subcutaneously one on tuesdays and the other on saturdays. No other drugs. Doctor has never run cbc's. 4 days ago my bp was 165/105 so my wife wanted me to go to the ER. They did a cbc I don't have the numbers. They did ekg and blood clot test for my heart. Said all was okay. Said my iron was at 19. Suffered all the symptoms headaches,shortness of breath,red skin,pressure in both arms,heartburn,insominia did not sleep fo 4 days earlier in the week before,eye pressure and irratation,frequent urination. When to my doc he ordered phlebotomy did it yesterday the tech pulled the numbers from the cbc the only one I remember was hematocrit at 58.She took a unit of blood. I will go back in a week to do cbc and see if I need more blood taken. Today feeling shitty still not as red but peeing every 10 minute,feel dehyrated and am drinking gatorade. Plan on cutting my dose to 100mg a week split into two shots. My question is how soon do you think it will take to get back to feeling normal. Not taking any shots missed three 1/2 cc shots so far (200mg). Thanks for any help.

Also i missed two redcross blood donations,I screwed up because of the holidays and travel. I never miss but my iron is always high the last time I donated was in august it was 19 the time before was 17.

I am 53 207lbs and lift weights 5 days a week.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Sam Johnson

Sam Johnson New Member

Serious anxiety over this hope someone can reply with some incite. Thanks

3. Captain

Captain Member

Your probably talking about hemoglobin not iron. The difference of 19 and 17 can be made by drinking a bottle of water before checking. Hematocrit changes with hydration too. You can get an idea of hydration from your BUN level. Bun is higher when dehydrated and lower when over hydrated. So if HCT and HGB are high with high BUN your probably dehydrated. HCT would probably drop 2-3 points with donation and 1-2 with good hydration.