1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

Trying to help diagnose a problem

Discussion in 'Female Health & HRT' started by msclman, May 11, 2015.

1. msclman

msclman Member

Hi all, trying to help a friend. She is 63 years old and has been having a spasming "cough" for the last 2.5 years. SHe coughs for 2 - 3minutes uncontrollably. She has also had asthma for the last 6 years. All her tests come back fine from her doctors. They have put her on prednisone but she had a very bad reaction to it. She went an allergist and was a 2 for dog, mold, sesame seeds, and maple tree. SHe has had dogs her whole life. She went to an ENT and was diagnosed w Barret's Esophagus with several little growths in the throat and esophagus. did a ct/pet scan negative for cancer but was put on Ranatadine for what they say is silent acid reflux. She has never experienced acid reflux. In december she was hospitalized for 2 asthma attacks. in january she was hospitalized for pneumonia w no voice. a month ago she experienced severe pain in upper abdomen which resulted in either vomiting or diarrhea . She was taking symbicort but was told to stop and only use for emergencies.

She stopped smoking 25 years ago, has an occasional beer, pretty much carb and gluten free. has taken flonase clariten and mucinex and is on armour. She asks me bc she knows i like to research medical related issues but this is not an area so while i research this I was hoping maybe you guys could take a look. any info would be appreciated her quality of life has really gone down the tubes here

2. msclman

msclman Member

SOME BLOOD WORK

Attached Files:

• AX.pdf
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:
  3. msclman

msclman Member

SOME MORE BLOOD WORK

Attached Files:

4. KYinchampaign

KYinchampaign Member

Sorry to hear about your friend's ongoing annoying cough.

...Has the flonase been ruled out as a possible cause? This has been indicated as a common side effect.

Years ago I had too drop using flonase due to this.

I have no other suggestions. Hopefully she finds relief soon.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. msclman

msclman Member

Yea she is off the flonase as well. I appreciate the reply

6. msclman

msclman Member

7. SamuelColburn

SamuelColburn New Member

A cough is considered as abrupt and sturdy release of air from the lungs. In coughing spasm condition people continuously have cough for longer than about five minutes. Though it is not an illness but require good effective diagnose to treat the problem. It can happen due to viral infections, croup, acute bronchitis, asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), smoking, stress, allergies, and many other problems. I think it is better to consult with experts if problem lies badly.

8. davidrn

davidrn Member

GERD is believed to be too much stomach acid, but many times the issue is not enough acid. Also, maybe a SIBO(small intestine bacterial overgrowth) breath test and a stool analysis, (fat in stool could show poor absorption).