1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

What A Week Of Groceries Looks Like Around The World

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by hebsie, Nov 17, 2013.

1. hebsie

hebsie Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

2. BadassBlues

BadassBlues Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Some fascinating (and enlightening) pictures there Hebster...:unsure:

I don't know if the family from the USA is indicitive of the majority here, but YIKES!

I love the Germans, lots of beer and wine! They must get pretty thirsty eating all of those processed salty meat products.

3. JanSz

JanSz Well-Known Member

I can get delicious German kielbasa close to home.
    Have been enjoying them for years.
    Then came Epi-Paleo Rx, back to 20 miles trips to Polish store.
    Polish kielbasa have more fat in them.

When I first came to USA I loved pastrami sandwich, all dripping in fat.
    Now, with the fat police around, it is rare that I eat (dry) pastrami.

////

4. cpeil2

cpeil2 Active Member

Their sausages are different. They are salted, yes, but not nearly as heavily as sausage here in the US. They are also made from real meat - not a lot of scrap.

I always allow myself to feel a little smug in the grocery line. All I have is real food, and everybody else has a cartful of boxes and packages and frozen items. Recently, one of the checkers asked me, "Who fixes all this?" When I said I did, she raised her eyebrows and said "good for you!"

5. alienmies

alienmies New Member

I'm from Finland(northern eu) and watching what and how americans eats is funny and sad in the same time.

So damn much of sugar/corn syrup in every item, no fresh food, eating out weekly and so on. Some of our stores have "USA shelves" and it is funny to read the packages "0% FAT! added vitamins and minerals" and then it is 99% cards/sugars. I guess they still think that fats are bad while sugars are good.

Here most still buy raw items and cook real foods, some lazy folks use just pre made foods, but even those are somewhat regulated and are mostly like home food but maybe little bit more of salt and less spices.

Friends that have visited US, say that most foods are super sweet and kind of disgusting because of it, and it is hard to eat healthier.

Eating out is also bit different here, because even fast food is kind of expensive(~10€ for macdonalds meal). Some eat out weekly, most only rarely.

Ahh, and dunno if it is true that US schools offer hamburgers and other "shit" as lunch, but here all schools offer normal food made from real raw materials. It is also free for certain degrees and ~2€ for university/highschool students(and education is free for all, but that is a different thing)