1. Welcome to the All Things Male Forum. Please sign up and join the conversation. It's free!

when to do saliva cortisol test

Discussion in 'Male Health & HRT' started by spiderRico, Oct 30, 2009.

1. spiderRico

spiderRico Member

Right now after having my T and E tuned in I feel great. Except the night of a workout and the day following. If I don't workout at all, I feel my best. Strong, lots of energy. Actually the more I lift the weaker I get.

I've done a saliva test before on an off day, zero stress and it came back normal with just a depressed morning cortisol .24 ref .27-1.18.

Just based on my symptoms, I believe it is my adrenals. My thyroid numbers are fine except for RT3. Which I suspect is elevated because of my adrenals.

So should I do the test the day of a workout, the day after which is the day I feel the worst. Or does it not matter.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. pmgamer18

pmgamer18 Prince of the Forums

Don't need to do it unless your trying to prove to your Dr. you need to treat them. Don't do the test the day you work out. They can come back very high.

3. Dadoo

Dadoo Active Member

hmm. i think it could be even the other way round in his case. his morning cortisol is low, that means his adrenals are so weak, that they couldn't produce enough cortisol even over second half of night. unless he slept less than 6 hours, on the blood draw day.

if the adrenals are weak they won't be able to produce enough new cortisol after/while working out. that might also be an additional reason why he is feeling weak after working out.

so - definitely I would test the cortisol on a work out day, to see the worst case. if you do the 4xday test, you benefit twice: you will see your cortisol at the morning and after working out. which will show whether the adrenals can come up with new cortisol after working out.

make sure to test DHEA as well, to check the Adrenal Stress Index.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. chilln

chilln Banned

Always do the tests on your worst day.

You may find that you only need to supplement with HC / Cortef (man made bioidentical cortisol) immediately before your workout, and perhaps a little the next day.

5. spiderRico

spiderRico Member

great, thanks guys for all of your advice.