Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Symptoms of high (or low) DHT

Can high DHT cause similar symptoms as low E2, for example, joint/tendon pain, etc.? What would be other symptoms of high or low DHT?

The answer may be of value to those of us trying to get a fix on our E2 based on symptoms.

Default Re: Symptoms of high (or low) DHT

Quote Originally Posted by seekonk View Post
    Can high DHT cause similar symptoms as low E2, for example, joint/tendon pain, etc.? What would be other symptoms of high or low DHT?

The answer may be of value to those of us trying to get a fix on our E2 based on symptoms.
    interestingly DHT is bashed all over the web
    without anybody providing conclusive evidence apart from benign prostate hyperplasia, which has lately been tracked back to estrogen. I could however find this study:

The Effects of Transdermal Dihydrotestosterone in the Aging Male: A Prospective, Randomized, Double Blind Study
    Pekka Kunelius, Olavi Lukkarinen, Minna L. Hannuksela, Outi Itkonen and Juha S. Tapanainen

Abstract

The objective of the study was to investigate the effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) gel on general well-being, sexual function, and the prostate in aging men. A total of 120 men participated in this randomized, placebo-controlled study (60 DHT and 60 placebo). All subjects had nocturnal penile tumescence once per week or less, andropause symptoms, and a serum T level of 15 nmol/liter or less and/or a serum SHBG level greater than 30 nmol/liter. The mean age was 58 yr (range, 50–70 yr). Of these subjects, 114 men completed the study. DHT was administered transdermally for 6 months, and the dose varied from 125–250 mg/d. General well-being symptoms and sexual function were evaluated using a questionnaire, and prostate symptoms were evaluated using the International Prostate Symptoms Score, transrectal ultrasonography, and assay of serum prostate-specific antigen.

Early morning erections improved transiently in the DHT group at 3 months of treatment (P < 0.003), and the ability to maintain erection improved in the DHT group compared with the placebo group (P < 0.04). No significant changes were observed in general well-being between the placebo and the DHT group. Serum concentrations of LH, FSH, E2, T, and SHBG decreased significantly during DHT treatment. Treatment with DHT did not affect liver function or the lipid profile. Hemoglobin concentrations increased from 146.0 ± 8.2 to 154.8 ± 11.4 g/liter, and hematocrit from 43.5 ± 2.5% to 45.8 ± 3.4% (P < 0.001). Prostate weight and prostate-specific antigen levels did not change during the treatment. No major adverse events were observed.

Transdermal administration of DHT improves sexual function and may be a useful alternative for androgen replacement. As estrogens are thought to play a role in the pathogenesis of prostate hyperplasia, DHT may be beneficial, compared with aromatizing androgens, in the treatment of aging men.
    which should make you think of the BAD, BAD DHT again

I Also laugh at all the people (idiots) on hairloss forums championing propecia for its anti-dht actions, because dht is totally useless for you......

I'm serious, if you say something negative towards propecia you pretty much become ostracized, i think people just have too many emotions invested into the drug that supposedly saves their hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Massa View Post
    interestingly DHT is bashed all over the web
    without anybody providing conclusive evidence apart from benign prostate hyperplasia, which has lately been tracked back to estrogen. I could however find this study:

which should make you think of the BAD, BAD DHT again
    Probably fall-out from the radical feminism (and today's uever-Liberalism) when anything "macho" is automatically deemed evil.

LOL
    www.AllThingsMale.com
    -----------------------
    Any information I may provide does not substitute for a proper medical evaluation by a medical professional;
    nor does it constitute doctor/patient relationship, or liability, in any way.

Follow me on Facebook at
    Dr. John Crisler
    --------------
    Following the link below will get you a free annual subscription to Life Extension Magazine, a $40 value!
    Life Extension Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by diesiel View Post
    I Also laugh at all the people (idiots) on hairloss forums championing propecia for its anti-dht actions, because dht is totally useless for you......

I'm serious, if you say something negative towards propecia you pretty much become ostracized, i think people just have too many emotions invested into the drug that supposedly saves their hair.
    Head of hair...penis that doesn't work.

Not a very good trade, in my book.
    www.AllThingsMale.com
    -----------------------
    Any information I may provide does not substitute for a proper medical evaluation by a medical professional;

Follow me on Facebook at
    Dr. John Crisler
    --------------
    Following the link below will get you a free annual subscription to Life Extension Magazine, a $40 value!
    Life Extension Magazine

Guys may have issues with urination, as the DHT ramps up the central nervous system.
    www.AllThingsMale.com
    -----------------------

Follow me on Facebook at
    Dr. John Crisler
    --------------
    Life Extension Magazine

Every time I hear the phrase "bad DHT" I could just hurl.

DHT is responsible for "all things male".
    www.AllThingsMale.com
    -----------------------

Follow me on Facebook at
    Dr. John Crisler
    --------------
    Life Extension Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John Crisler View Post

How much over top range is still acceptable for you?

I am not a Dr, any opinion that I have is based on my own experience.
    Any changes in my regime are always discussed with and are approved by my doctor.

Diabetes is not a disease. It is how mammals signal for the coming winter. You can cure it naturally.
    ...all legitimate rights have one thing in common: they are rights to action, not to rewards from other people."
    Failure is the spice that gives success its flavors………….If you don’t do the fear, you won’t get the courage.

It's hard to find good info about DHT my levels on gels were 3x's above the top of the range up until I hit this level I was fine then it started acting on my Prostate. Here is a good read about DHT.
    Move down the page to read this.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform8.htm
    Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
    Phil

Guys may have issues with urination, as the DHT ramps up the central nervous system.
    When you say ramps up the CNS, should I take it that it may lead to ongoing anxiety ?

I like DHT. I have been on both ends of the scale and Higher is better.

I rather like chasing my wife around!!!

No such thing as bad DHT for me
    "Whenever a doctor cannot do good, he must be kept from doing harm" ~Hippocrates

I have had high DHT and low DHT (via propecia).

No difference in the sex department for me that I could really tell, although sensation may be a little better with lower DHT.

But then, I am extremely sensitive to DHT. Even on Propecia, my body hair will go crazy, eyebrows, ear hair, nose hair, beard, etc. So I probably need less DHT than the average guy.

But I am prone to anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, etc. So if DHT ramps up the CNS, then to me it would be bad DHT.

Also, it has been mentioned here before that high DHT may increase visceral fat, which would be bad.
    Last edited by seekonk; 07-17-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Also, it has been mentioned here before that high DHT may increase visceral fat, which would be bad.
    Must have missed that one!
    Oh dear, no indeed, not good that, I have got enough to start with :-(

Thankfully with me, nothing seems to have gone berserk, just "appropriate" hair growth, getting toward something like I had before, and it has not happened too quickly, no new head hair loss either.

it has also been mentioned that DHT does cause cancer and will make all your hairs fall out. the difference to your statement is, however, that these two had at least a few reliable studies to back them up - where is the study for the DHT-FAT connection. If it is not to overconversion (i.e. along with low T) I suspect high DHT wont make you fat (if not the opposite)

I have had high DHT and low DHT (via propecia).

No difference in the sex department for me that I could really tell, although sensation may be a little better with lower DHT.

But then, I am extremely sensitive to DHT. Even on Propecia, my body hair will go crazy, eyebrows, ear hair, nose hair, beard, etc. So I probably need less DHT than the average guy.

But I am prone to anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, etc. So if DHT ramps up the CNS, then to me it would be bad DHT.

I've heard about the DHT-visceral fat connection as well--I'd REALLY like to see evidence for this. I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I've never seen anything worthwhile as far as evidence. It'd be good to either put this to rest or provide evidence for it.

I'll browse Pubmed.