Bookmark our new address! www.AllThingsMale.com/forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dopamine Increasing Drugs?

Just wondering what kind of meds they use to increase dopamine? and whats the side effects associated with them? also what natural supplements can be used to increase dopamine in the brain? thanks guys

Default Re: Dopamine Increasing Drugs?

...pregnenolone...hebs

ps...and I am being serious. I'm noting a huge dopamine boost already, better than any prescription or OTC drug that I've tried before

tyrosine worked wonders for me . you need to balance it with tryptophan or 5htp though or you risk lowering serotonin. Subligual L dopa was good to.

ADD drugs likes Adderal and Provigil. Also, certain (but not all) antidepressants, like Wellbutrin.

Quote Originally Posted by akiravp82 View Post
    Just wondering what kind of meds they use to increase dopamine? and whats the side effects associated with them? also what natural supplements can be used to increase dopamine in the brain? thanks guys
    Standardised Mucuna Pruriens contains 15% l-Dopa which in turn boosts, dopamine and growth hormone. It is also reputed to boost Testosterone indirectly. Do a search and you'll find plenty of references to it on this forum. This is an ayurvedic herb that is available in various forms

Quote Originally Posted by Technophile View Post
    ADD drugs likes Adderal and Provigil. Also, certain (but not all) antidepressants, like Wellbutrin.
    Drugs like these don't increase DA, they just trick the body into thinking there is more, by activating the receptor. Long term it actually depletes it.

Pramipexole will increase dopamine but it is highly controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by conquerit View Post
    Pramipexole will increase dopamine but it is highly controversial.
    Same thing... drugs just make the receptors feel increased DA. Not good for you in the long term.

To actually increase you need raw materials... tyrosine, phenylalanine, l-dopa (mucuna).

I like Mucuna Pruriens a lot. It seems to go well with the peptides I take. I only take it 3 times a week and cycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanGuy View Post
    Drugs like these don't increase DA, they just trick the body into thinking there is more, by activating the receptor. Long term it actually depletes it.
    Can you provide a link where I might learn more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by keith1958 View Post
    I like Mucuna Pruriens a lot. It seems to go well with the peptides I take. I only take it 3 times a week and cycle it.
    Can you tell us what form and what dose you take. Which peptides do you take.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
    Can you tell us what form and what dose you take. Which peptides do you take.
    Beyond A Century
    Mucuna pruriens, 40% L-Dopa. 75 grams powder, 375mg each dose which yields 150mg Levodopa per serving. I take this on a empty stomach 30 minutes before eating.

Peptides
    100mcg of Modified GRF ( 1- 29)
    100mcg GHRP-6

I do this at bedtime and in the morning

That's interesting because I also recently started taking a much lower dose of mucuna capsules (400mg = 15% l-dopa, 1 cap morning and one in the evening.) It seems to be working reasonably well for my ED problem. However, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll leave it that my thread on the subject can be found with a search.
    Last edited by TopGeek; 02-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akiravp82 View Post
    The most effective and optimal way to boost dopamine, is the same as for boosting all neurotransmitters, ie: supplement with pregnenolone.

Pregnenolone won't boost dopamine beyond optimum, so if you want to go to town on dopamine, then preg won't deliver that result.

###

The beauty of pregnenolone supplementation is that it optimizes all our nuerotransmitters, not just dopamine.

Pregnenolone (as pregnenolone sulfate) regulates many of our critical neurotransmitters, and thus too low pregnenolone results in inadequate neurotransmitter regulation,

Neurotransmitters which are functioning below optimal get upregulated by pregnenolone to optimal (not beyond). Neurotransmitters which are functioning above optimal get downregulated by pregnenolone back to optimal (not beyond).

################################################## #######

Here's one of the most important papers on the topic:

Pregnenolone Sulfate regulates NMDA receptors
    http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/24/46/10318

Two critical extracts from the above paper are:

NMDA receptors are ligand-gated ion channels that admit Ca2+ after binding of the neurotransmitter glutamate and are fundamental to excitatory neurotransmission and normal CNS function
    and

These results suggest that the PS (pregnenolone sulfate) is a modulator of NMDA receptor Po, the effectiveness of which is lowered by glutamate binding. This modulation may have important consequences for the neuronal excitability.
    Additional background factoids:
    1) Pregnenolone is bound to sulfate in the human body which is the long term storage form of pregnenolone.
    2) The NMDA receptors regulate all neurotransmitters, not just a few.
    3) Supplementing with too much pregnenolone results in "excess normalization", which results in "spacey" feelings, not feelings of depression, anxiety, aggression, OCD, or any other symptom of neurotransmitter excess of deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by chilln View Post
    3) Supplementing with too much pregnenolone results in "excess normalization", which results in "spacey" feelings, not feelings of depression, anxiety, aggression, OCD, or any other symptom of neurotransmitter excess of deficit.
    Chilln, what is going on when pregnenolone supplementation does increase anxiety, even in small doses? I've tried oral 25mg and TD 15mg.