Bookmark our new address! www.AllThingsMale.com/forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best brand of melatonin?

My sleep patterns seem to be getting worse lately. I've been having trouble falling asleep, and have also been having trouble motivating myself to go to bed at a decent hour (probably because I don't feel tired and I know I'll have trouble falling sleep if I go to bed early). Thinking about giving this a try. Does it work? Can you recommend me a good brand? And lastly, it doesn't become addictive like prescription sleeping meds, does it?
    Last edited by Electric Eye; 04-18-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Default Re: Best brand of melatonin?

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    My sleep patterns seem to be getting worse lately. I've been having trouble falling asleep, and have also been having trouble motivating myself to go bed at a decent hour (probably because I don't feel tired and I know I'll have trouble falling sleep if I go to bed early). Thinking about giving this a try. Does it work? Can you recommend me a good brand? And lastly, it doesn't become addictive like prescription sleeping meds, does it?
    I use Source Naturals - both tablets and sub-lingual spray and drops. Works pretty good - I usually use between 1.5 and 4.5 mg. Sometimes when I awake in the middle of the night, i may take another sub-lingual spray which helps with falling back asleep.

I find that it mainly helps with sleep onset more than sleep duration. Have been taking fairly regularly on and off for a couple of years with no obvious sides or dependencies.

Have recently tried glycine as well for sleep quality, seems to help, but am still evaluating. It is supposed to promote more/longer of the restorative "deep sleep" stages. There is a marketed sleep quality product called Glysom that is a branded version of glycine.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheF View Post
    I use Source Naturals - both tablets and sub-lingual spray and drops. Works pretty good - I usually use between 1.5 and 4.5 mg. Sometimes when I awake in the middle of the night, i may take another sub-lingual spray which helps with falling back asleep.

I find that it mainly helps with sleep onset more than sleep duration. Have been taking fairly regularly on and off for a couple of years with no obvious sides or dependencies.

Have recently tried glycine as well for sleep quality, seems to help, but am still evaluating. It is supposed to promote more/longer of the restorative "deep sleep" stages. There is a marketed sleep quality product called Glysom that is a branded version of glycine.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, my main problem is actually falling asleep - I don't usually have issues waking up in the middle of the night, luckily. But the falling asleep thing has been getting kinda bad -most nights I can't sleep until about 2 AM or later!
    Last edited by Electric Eye; 04-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.

I take NOW 3 mgs at bedtime with ZMA and TMG. I have had a problem falling to sleep most of my life until a Dr. told me to try this laying down. Try this it works what you need to do is stop your mind from thinking.
    http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/
    ================================================== ====
    Steps to Elicit the Relaxation Response
    The following is the technique reprinted with permission from Dr. Herbert Benson's book
    The Relaxation Response pages 162-163

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
    Close your eyes.
    Deeply relax all your muscles,
    beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face.
    Keep them relaxed.
    Breathe through your nose.
    Become aware of your breathing.
    As you breathe out, say the word, "one"*,
    silently to yourself. For example,
    breathe in ... out, "one",- in .. out, "one", etc.
    Breathe easily and naturally.
    Continue for 10 to 20 minutes.
    You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm.
    When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes,
    at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened.
    Do not stand up for a few minutes.
    Do not worry about whether you are successful
    in achieving a deep level of relaxation.
    Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own pace.
    When distracting thoughts occur,
    try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them
    and return to repeating "one."
    With practice, the response should come with little effort.
    Practice the technique once or twice daily,
    but not within two hours after any meal,
    since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
    the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.

* or any soothing, mellifluous sound, preferably with no meaning.
    or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, my main problem is actually falling asleep - I don't usually have issues waking up in the middle of the night, luckily. But the falling asleep thing has been getting kinda bad -most nights I can't sleep until about 2 AM or later!
    Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
    Phil

I have found very effective LIQUID melatonin. This last days im checking Kirkman´s Slow Release one (10 mg), 2 grams of GABA and 1000 mg of L-Tryptophan every night. I have been tested defficient in all those. Last night I fell asleep in 30 minutes and slept stright 9 hours. What a miracle. My mood is much better on tryptophan also, I feel like making jokes which is more like my "old me". Lets see if it continues.
    Getting better everyday.

I think melatonin is so cheap and easy to make that the brand won't matter much... I've taken cvs stuff before and it seems no worse than other stuff. but then again I really don't have sleep issues and only used it for jet lag type of stuff, so maybe I'm not the best. but regardless, I wouldn't pay a premium for some fancy brand :D

Thanks for the input guys.

I usually like to take as few supplements as possible, but I think I'm going to have to make an exception for this because getting good sleep is just too important. Hopefully once I get back into good sleep habits I'll be able to stop taking it.

Letstalk, you're probably right about the brand thing, I think I'll just get one off Iherb that has good reviews. Eg:

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews.../328/?p=2&sr=5

Just noticed that that's the same one that Pmgamer uses.

Thanks for the input guys.

I usually like to take as few supplements as possible, but I think I'm going to have to make an exception for this because getting good sleep is just too important. Hopefully once I get back into good sleep habits I'll be able to stop taking it.

Letstalk, you're probably right about the brand thing, I think I'll just get one off Iherb that has good reviews. Eg:

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews.../328/?p=2&sr=5
    NOW is known to be a very reputable supplement manufacturer. I would feel fine using them and have before.

lol, I was about to place my order but it turns out Iherb can't/won't ship melatonin to Australia. It must be a restricted import here or something. I found some available locally, but the pickings were pretty slim. I got this one...

http://www.biovea.com/au/product_det...D=20267&OS=204

lol, I was about to place my order but it turns out Iherb can't/won't ship melatonin to Australia. It must be a restricted import here or something. I found some available locally, but the pickings were pretty slim. I got this one...

http://www.biovea.com/au/product_det...D=20267&OS=204
    I order from biovea before with no problems.
    I normally use 5mg sublingual but also ordered a 5mg slow release version which im also going to take to see if it helps sleep maintenance. I do keep a script on hand just incase but customs havent touched anything from them yet. I also order some pregenolone caps as well, alot cheaper then buying it from compound pharmacy here.

cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heapsreal View Post
    I order from biovea before with no problems.
    I normally use 5mg sublingual but also ordered a 5mg slow release version which im also going to take to see if it helps sleep maintenance. I do keep a script on hand just incase but customs havent touched anything from them yet. I also order some pregenolone caps as well, alot cheaper then buying it from compound pharmacy here.

cheers!!!
    I'm pretty sure Biovea ships from inside Australia if you order off the Australian site. I seem to remember seeing a return address somewhere in NSW on some of their packages.

I'm pretty sure Biovea ships from inside Australia if you order off the Australian site. I seem to remember seeing a return address somewhere in NSW on some of their packages.
    They did stock melatonin on the australian web site but then taken off it, they directed me to their UK site to order it, but since that order they now again have it own the aussie site again, so your probably right its shipped from australia, maybe they found a loop hole to be able to sell it again??? It sux how alot of these supps are classed as dam drugs/steriods here like dhea, all it does is shot up the cost.

cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heapsreal View Post
    They did stock melatonin on the australian web site but then taken off it, they directed me to their UK site to order it, but since that order they now again have it own the aussie site again, so your probably right its shipped from australia, maybe they found a loop hole to be able to sell it again??? It sux how alot of these supps are classed as dam drugs/steriods here like dhea, all it does is shot up the cost.

cheers!!!
    Yep, I agree... it's a big inconvenience. I'm glad I found some.

So what does it mean if the melatonin isn't helping, and if anything, is making my sleeplessness even worse?

Since I started taking it, not only can I still not sleep until 1:30-2 AM, I'm now waking up 2-3 times during the night as well (this didn't happen before).

Why on earth would this be happening?