Bookmark our new address! www.AllThingsMale.com/forum

Default What do my Thyroid results mean?

Interested in any comments. Haven't spoken to my Dr yet but am curious what people see/think. Thanks.

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.73 0.35 - 3.30 mcIU/mL
    TRIIODOTHYRONINE T3 126 60 - 180 ng/dL
    T3 (TRIIODOTHYRONINE), FREE 3.6 2.3 - 4.2 pg/mL
    T3-REVERSE TRIIODOTHRONINE 150 90 - 350 pg/mL
    THYROXINE T4 7.6 4.5 - 10.9 mcg/dL
    THYROXINE, FREE (FREE T4) 0.90 0.56 - 1.64 ng/dL

THYROID PEROXIDASE (TPO) Ab 14 < 35 IU/mL

THYROGLOBULIN 32.3 1.3 - 31.8 ng/mL H
    THYROGLOBULIN AB 7.5 0.0 - 4.0 IU/mL H
    % RECOVERY 96 80 - 120 %

Default Re: What do my Thyroid results mean?

Quote Originally Posted by j-man1 View Post
    Interested in any comments. Haven't spoken to my Dr yet but am curious what people see/think. Thanks.

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.73 0.35 - 3.30 mcIU/mL
    TRIIODOTHYRONINE T3 126 60 - 180 ng/dL
    T3 (TRIIODOTHYRONINE), FREE 3.6 2.3 - 4.2 pg/mL
    T3-REVERSE TRIIODOTHRONINE 150 90 - 350 pg/mL
    THYROXINE T4 7.6 4.5 - 10.9 mcg/dL
    THYROXINE, FREE (FREE T4) 0.90 0.56 - 1.64 ng/dL

THYROID PEROXIDASE (TPO) Ab 14 < 35 IU/mL

THYROGLOBULIN 32.3 1.3 - 31.8 ng/mL H
    THYROGLOBULIN AB 7.5 0.0 - 4.0 IU/mL H
    % RECOVERY 96 80 - 120 %
    I suggest that you bee happy with your thyroid panel.

but

Why have you tested thyroglobulin?

When is it ordered?
    A thyroglobulin test may be ordered prior to the surgical removal of the thyroid gland for cancer. It may also be ordered after the completion of treatment to help determine whether any normal and/or cancerous thyroid tissue may have been left behind. It is often ordered on a regular basis after surgery to make sure that the tumor has not come back or spread.

A thyroglobulin test also may be ordered when a person has symptoms of hyperthyroidism and/or an enlarged thyroid gland and the doctor suspects that the person may have a thyroid disorder such as Graves disease or thyroiditis. It may be ordered at intervals when someone is being treated with anti-thyroid medications (for conditions such as Graves disease), to determine the effectiveness of treatment.

Rarely it may be ordered when an infant has symptoms associated with hypothyroidism.
    I am not a Dr, any opinion that I have is based on my own experience.
    Any changes in my regime are always discussed with and are approved by my doctor.

Diabetes is not a disease. It is how mammals signal for the coming winter. You can cure it naturally.
    ...all legitimate rights have one thing in common: they are rights to action, not to rewards from other people."
    Failure is the spice that gives success its flavors………….If you don’t do the fear, you won’t get the courage.

excelent results. If this is natural then one of the best natural panels I have ever seen.

Just outa curiosity are you naturally lean and if so have you always been one of those I can eat alot but not gain weight people?

My question is: how to you feel? Did you take the test because your doc suggested it, or have you being feeling not as good as you would like lately?

Your results for TSH and FT3 are very close to the values used in functional medicine, so things look good there.

The non-zero results for TPO and TG antibodies bother me. I had celiac and long-term Hashi's; my TPO antibodes weren't real high, but the length of time I had it, still destroyed my thyroid. I don't put much faith in thresholds for these parameters. Once I got off gluten, my TPO antibodies went to zero.

There is a formula used on the RT3 mailing list where you plugin your FT3 and RT3 values, and if you are under/over a key value, you are judged to have too much RT3. Have you seen/used that formula?

Doesn't the high antibodies signify a thyroid disease like hashimotos? or atleast suggest it could happen? i would seriously look into this and google around.

Also i really like your Rt3 to Ft3 ratio, it looks good to me.
    Last edited by JackNeedsHelp; 08-22-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    6mg Medrol (3-2-1)
    0.1mg Florinef
    Gluten Free

No, not naturally lean. 6' tall, bodyweight ranges between 220 and 240. Takes alot of work to get down to 220 and bodyfat never gets below about 17%. Gain weight VERY easily.

Dr. ordered those tests, i think, to look for other autoimmune diseases. I have Crohn's and he stated that someone with one autoimmune disease has a 75% chance of having another. At least that is why i think he ordered the tests.

I feel awful actually. Very low energy. Low Cortisol has always been a problem. Currently on trt (T-Cyp, hcg, ai).

I have not seen the formula. Can you post a link or something?

thanks.

You have some antibodies, so I would monitor my thyroid for the future. You will already know as it seems you have a good GP at hand.
    Since you are saying that you are feeling terrible: Your free T3 is much higher in the reference range than your free T4. This might be a sign that T4 is increasingly converted to T3 so that there is enough active hormone around in your body to compensate for a lower hormone output of your thyroid.

Quote Originally Posted by era View Post
    I had celiac and long-term Hashi's; my TPO antibodes weren't real high, but the length of time I had it, still destroyed my thyroid. I don't put much faith in thresholds for these parameters. Once I got off gluten, my TPO antibodies went to zero.
    Did you do any tests about being coeliac before getting off gluten?

I have Hashimoto's myself and longstanding digestive problems as well. For me it was avoidance of fructose (including household sugar) that got things better but not optimal.
    Last edited by matente; 08-23-2012 at 12:36 PM.

I would strongly suggest that you find a doc with environmental illness who isn't timid about searching for what can cause anti-thyroid antibodies and Crohn's (which, I understand, is also autoimmune). Initial suggestions would be: gluten, perchlorate, heavy metals.

The formula for interpreting rt3/t3 ratio is on the rt3_t3 mailing list's accessory website:

http://www.thyroid-rt3.com/howisit.htm

Incidentally, I've never been diagnosed with Crohn's, IBS, etc. but when I was in full gluten enteropathy, my digestive function was a mess. Bringing thyroid up to normal, just by itself, got rid of 95% of the problem.

I was diagnosed celiac in 2003 by means of a gliadin antibody test. Now, docs would probably be using gliadin antibody test and tissue transglutaminase (TTG) together to diagnose.

For me, getting to a euthyroid level was a key element of getting rid of obvious digestive malfunction. I'm not saying that it is completely normal, however; thanks to a combination of gut damage and age, my blood protein level is too low, and I find that using free essential amino acids is very helpful.

He ordered some of those tests also, they appear to be negative.

ANA SCREEN Neg Negative
    IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 208 81 - 426 mg/dL

GLIADIN, IGA 1 SEE NOTE
    Results reported in EliA Units/mL.

GLIADIN, IGG 1 SEE NOTE

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE, IGA 1 SEE NOTE

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE, IGG 1 SEE NOTE

Result Interpretation
    <7 EliA U/mL Negative
    7-10 EliA U/mL Equivocal
    >10 EliA U/mL Positive

HISTONE ANTIBODY, IgG 0.2 0.0 - 0.9 Units
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Histone Ab, IgG

0.9 Units or less ............ Negative
    1.0 - 1.5 Units .............. Weak Positive
    1.6 - 2.5 Units .............. Moderate Positive
    2.6 Units or greater ......... Strong Positive

RAST Allegen Food Allergy test also negative for everything measured: egg yolk, egg white, beef, pork, milk, wheat, peanut, soybean, barley, corn, rye, fish/cod.