Bookmark our new address! www.AllThingsMale.com/forum

Default Weight Loss / Calories

I lost a ton of weight following weight watchers and I am a believer in the system.

However, one of its shortcomings IMO is that I don't know how many calories I eat...it's based on "points", which takes into account calories, fat and fiber.

I can estimate it's about 50 calories per point, but I would like to get an accurate idea otherwise.

For a 185 pound male who does intense aerobics 3 x 1 hour per week, what do you think average daily kcal requirements should look like in order to lose 1 - 2 pounds of fat per week?

I want to get to about 170 - 175 (was 245!!) and I want to wean onto a different system.

Default Re: Weight Loss / Calories

The physician I use for weight loss uses a very simple formula. It may take longer (months) to lose the weight but once its off it stays off If you want to weigh 185 pds your calorie intake should be 1850 calories per day. Of course watching what you eat is an important as intake. So if you weigh 210 lbs and want to stay there your intake would be 2100 calories a day and so on.
    Also the amount of exercise you do helps with loss but not as much as a strict input regement.
    Over the past 4 or 5 months I have gone from 278 lbs to 239 lbs as of last week.
    Last edited by crazycrew; 08-11-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick055 View Post
    I lost a ton of weight following weight watchers and I am a believer in the system.

However, one of its shortcomings IMO is that I don't know how many calories I eat...it's based on "points", which takes into account calories, fat and fiber.

I can estimate it's about 50 calories per point, but I would like to get an accurate idea otherwise.

For a 185 pound male who does intense aerobics 3 x 1 hour per week, what do you think average daily kcal requirements should look like in order to lose 1 - 2 pounds of fat per week?

I want to get to about 170 - 175 (was 245!!) and I want to wean onto a different system.
    Lot's of variables in your equation, but if you consider just the caloric restriction side, 1lb of fat is roughly 3500 calories. If you remove 500 calories per day, you lose 1lb a week.

Exercise and metabolic increases just compound the fat loss. There are calculators that predict calorie consumption based on exercise.
    "The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn't do. . . . And that is to destroy the black family.'." [Walter Williams]

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove they are insured, but not everyone prove they are a citizen.

WW calories are about 50 calories per point the last time this question come up in a meeting. I get 36 points /day and don't use the extra points you get for the week 35 points and I don't use the extra points you get for exercising. So I eat about 1800 calories per day in the last 2 weeks I am down 7.5 lbs I like to avg. 2 lbs. per week yesterday I worked out in the gym heavy for 90 mins this added up over 14 extra points your only aloud to use the first 4 so if your doing a lot of exercise you need to eat more that day. I have found if I don't I don't lose my body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the fat.

I think WW is great one of the best ways to lose weight through eating right. It's not a Diet it's a way of life.
    Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rick055 View Post

On my way down from 203, I have been eating 2600-2700 calories a day and still dropping weight. Last weekend I was 177. It just keeps coming off but I am running around at work, then in the gym right until I rush into bed so that is part of it.

Maybe the HGH is doing something to my metabolism. 2000 calories a day likely would cause you to lose more weight, but would you have enough energy to push yourself all week?

I would feel like I am starving on 2000 and want to eat more than I do now.

You could start at 2000-2300 and see what happens.

You have done a fantastic job, keep it up!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrew View Post
    The physician I use for weight loss uses a very simple formula. It may take longer (months) to lose the weight but once its off it stays off If you want to weigh 185 pds your calorie intake should be 1850 calories per day. Of course watching what you eat is an important as intake. So if you weigh 210 lbs and want to stay there your intake would be 2100 calories a day and so on.
    Also the amount of exercise you do helps with loss but not as much as a strict input regement.
    Over the past 4 or 5 months I have gone from 278 lbs to 239 lbs as of last week.
    crazycrew
    You are probably one of the few guys around here that:

came
    said hello
    described problem
    got possible answer to his problem

are using that answer

and

getting good results

===================================

most argue, try to modify advice,
    argue again

3 years latter they still are at the square #1.

=========================
    278 lbs to 239 ----> 39#
    Last edited by JanSz; 08-11-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    I am not a Dr, any opinion that I have is based on my own experience.
    Any changes in my regime are always discussed with and are approved by my doctor.

Diabetes is not a disease. It is how mammals signal for the coming winter. You can cure it naturally.
    ...all legitimate rights have one thing in common: they are rights to action, not to rewards from other people."
    Failure is the spice that gives success its flavors………….If you don’t do the fear, you won’t get the courage.

OK, so how is it that Michael Phelps can eat 12,000 calories a day and stay super thin? I know he swims and trains and burns the extra calories but you can't tell me he is burning an extra 9000 calories a day w/exercise. you can look that up and see how many calories are burned for exercise and see that's next to impossible.

Paul